Yelling Cow??

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Different breeds start showing heats at different ages. Jerseys are known for coming into heat anywhere after 7-8 months. The better the nutrition, often the earlier the heats. Many will have heats that you never see, especially early on. I was saying that at 18 months, they are in full prime sexual "maturity" as far as coming into heat. Some breeds take longer to mature and come into heat. You did not say what breed of cattle this heifer was. Also, heifers usually have shorter heats than cows, and so she could have been coming into heat at night and it only lasting 6 hours. Not uncommon. If you are wanting to catch her in heat, then you need to have another "bovine" with her so that the heats are more obvious.
She's 50% Galloway 25% Highland 25% Angus. That makes sense. If we still have her around in January we might run her with the others to get bred. It's hot in AZ and we prefer around October calves.

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had a goat yelling for "nothing" for 2 days! Annoying...she was definitely in heat...out now, and quiet. Drove me nuts.

Next month she'll go with buck when it comes on. Hoping another or two are also unbred at this time...hoping. I'd like to not have all kids at one time. :rolleyes: All dairy girls.
I get that. I have meat goats and try to stagger kids so I'm not worrying about all of them in a short span of time.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not worrying about all of them in a short span of time.

Years back, with a herd of about 50 meaties, I had eight does kid within a 2 hr time frame! They were in the field and I just kept seeing them go down and push! Think a domino chain :lol: Generally they were up in a smaller area by the barn with cameras but, out that day and they sure took advantage of me!

With only a dozen does now, I prefer hand bred. This year a new, young buck made his way in 2X. So, while calendar is marked -- not positive how many at each date.:idunno Time will tell. It's all good.

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:celebrateYep, problem solved.... Thanks for the update. I'm the kind of person that always wants the "rest of the story"...
Same here. I hate when I find an interesting old thread through a search and it ends on a cliffhanger. Or if a thread describes some weird wound or something and they say "I'll get pics later" and the thread ends there forever. :( I like the weird wound pics. Is that weird? :D