Yet Another Steel Conundrum

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is my last (cough) cross bred kindle--as I write that I am reminded that I decided to take on a side project with my SF, so not really, but that is beside the point. So here we go....

Sire-NZW: A_ B_ cc DD __
Dam-SF Blue: aa B_ Ccchd dd E_ si_

2 Blacks, whether self or double steels I cannot say but one has scattered white hairs.
1 Chinchilla
1 Chestnut
1 Black Gold-Tipped Steel Aa B_ C_ Dd Es_ (si)

14 weeks old

It is the Black GTS that I was wondering about. I have have Steels that may have silvered, but it was very light. This girl is looking different, probably silvering heavier than the others I have had...IF she is silvering.

The first picture is of her next to a chestnut from the same kindle.

2018-01-20 BMB-5 3.JPG

2018-03-04 BMB3.jpg

2018-04-08 BMB-3.jpg

So, I wondered if she was silvering and asked on a genetics FB group. At first everyone tried to convince me that she was a silver tipped steel, which I thought was not the case, but we are talking steel here so what do I know. Another started down the rufus trail. Another suggested her chin is brassy, which brassy did not show on any other offspring from either parent. But when I mentioned her eyes are as brown as any on a black without any marbling, I was told that a rabbit expressing chin can have brown eyes:thor at least turn darker to brown as they age but hers have been brown the whole time, while my chin went from gray-blue to more lilac-gray. And then there was mention of steels being able to have white ears and white bellies as with Flemish Giants, but no Flemish Giants in the ancestry that I know of and not sure how that even works...? :idunno

And it hurts my head hurts trying to learn and understand the different terminologies for colors assigned to different breeds. Genetics is far easier and it is hard enough!

Last edited:

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I added a picture of her as a kit next to a chestnut in the original post, so that it is easier to see why I say she was a gold-tipped steel.