Yikes! Mini-doe bred by a standard buck! what now?

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well something happened I didn't think would. The standard size Alpine buck we borrowed for breeding this season managed to knock over our tall metal fencing and let one of our mini-Alpine does in and he bred her before I realized he had knocked the fence in :( So now what? Should I give her lutalyse to abort? I have it but don't know how much to give her. She's about 50-60lbs I am guessing. She's 2 years old and hasn't ever been bred till now. It's been a week since he was with her. Any chance she could handle his kid?

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't know the dosing but I hope someone who does sees this thread. If it were me I think I would abort it if she is a lot smaller than the buck. I know there is a certain amount of time you should wait after the breeding took place before you do the lute too. Sorry I am not much help on the specifics, I have never had to deal with something like this before.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Give her 2cc at least 10 days after the breeding happened. There has to be a corpus luteum for the Lutalyse to work. I wait 2 weeks after the breeding and then give it.

Good to "see" you. I hope things have been going well.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the info ksalvagno. I hate to do it but I know she probably won't handle the kid being as small as she is, so I will. The goats/farm is doing well thankyou. We downgraded to a more manageable size so we are dealing with things much better. It was a good move. We got our does bred late this year so we won't have kids till the first of July, but better late than never.

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think I read in another post that it should be given IM .