Yikes.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Speaking of Levasole, CM...there's an ad in DGJ for a place that says, "Looking for Lavasole? We have it!" and it made me think of you, lol.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Speaking of Levasole, CM...there's an ad in DGJ for a place that says, "Looking for Lavasole? We have it!" and it made me think of you, lol.
It wasn't me...but I have an idea of who it might be.

A while back, a goat buddy of mine was telling me about this place in...Oklahoma, maybe?...where they were making their own levasole. He said they got SHUT DOWN at some point, he reckoned by the FDA/USDA/etc. His understanding was that they got in serious, serious trouble for it. He was kinda bummed out about it because he used to buy from them.

Well, he was at the ABGA Nationals (or whatever it was) in Louisville and saw a flyer for Levasole...he told me that he actually thought it was wrong, like someone must have misprinted a flyer from last year or something weird like that. He blew it off, because he recognized the name and knew the people weren't making it anymore.

When he got home, one of his friends was like "So, did you buy levasole while you were there?"

Come to find out...they're at it again! :lol: :gig :lol:

Betcha it's the same folks you saw advertised.. I dunno how legal the stuff is, but if it IS the same folks...the guy I know actually knows someone else who bought it, is using it, and it appears to be the real deal.

Sooooo...just sayin'. Dunno how legal it is, but pharmaceutically speaking -- if it's the same folks -- it seems legit.

Actually...if you've never used Levasole on your property or have reason to believe that your barberpoles would be HIGHLY -- like, almost 100% -- susceptible to it...do us a favor and buy some. :)

I'm planning a little somethin' somethin' that involves the use of Levasole on goats that "don't need dewormed" and could use a little dual verification that my thinking is correct.

If I'm right, it would amount to a barberpole holocaust. Like, 99% eradication not only from the goats, but from the premises.

You in?

:D :D :D :D :D

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
I'd also hit her with a stronger dewormer pretty soon.. Cydectin, probably....or Levasole, if you can find it. You've probably taken care of quite a few worms at this point, but there's widespread resistance to ivermectin and benzamidazole-class dewormers in barberpole...which is to say, she still has worms. Not as many, of course, but she still has them.
That is what I was considering. Continue with the Red Cell and B-Complex and then hit her with Cydectin in another 5 days. Wanted to see if someone else agreed. My local feed store has Levasole in tablets for sheep. Can you give a goat those? Of course he has them in an unlabeled bottle and sells it by the tablet so it might not be a good idea in general.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
My local feed store has Levasole in tablets for sheep. Can you give a goat those? Of course he has them in an unlabeled bottle and sells it by the tablet so it might not be a good idea in general.
BUY THEM!!!!!!

When they ask how many you want, your response should be "All of them!"

I was in the exact same spot a while back, and that's exactly what I did. They told me they had 87. I bought all 87. They thought I was nuts, because they did sell them by the tablet...couldn't figure out why I could possibly need 87 sheep boluses...

I suspect they cursed me pretty good when they went to reorder, though. :lol:

Seriously, they're like gold for goat people.. I don't remember what I paid, but I could probably triple my investment at this point if I actually wanted to sell them..

The goat dosage on the 'sheep oblets' are 1.5x the labeled dose for sheep.. I think the label says 1 oblet per 50lbs, but you'd give it at 1 oblet per 33lbs.

You can O/D on levasole, though...accurate weights and dosing are important!

If your barberpoles have never seen Levasole before, it'll achieve pretty much a 100% kill... Now that I'm thinking of it, I might actually go with Cydectin first and then wait some more before doing the Levasole on the bottlejaw case...it's that strong.

Seriously, though...GO BUY IT! Like, right now! Why are you still reading this?!?!? Go! Go get it before someone else discovers it and buys it all right out from under you!

:weee

:)

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My concern was in an unlabeled bottle, how do I know it is REALLY Levasole? I also wasn't familiar enough with it to know if it came in tablets or how to dose. Do I just force 1 1/2 pills down their throats with a pill pusher that I use for the dogs?

This was also two weeks ago I saw it. I guess I am stopping on my way home from work. So much for going to the yarn store tonight. Hope they still have some. Ill let you know. I think they wanted like $1 something each; maybe?

They have been using Prohibit drench at the MD buck test, wonder where they got that?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
My concern was in an unlabeled bottle, how do I know it is REALLY Levasole?
Feedstores selling them individually is apparently pretty common, so that doesn't strike me as odd.. Plus, if it's a feedstore...those guys usually don't like making enemies.

If you want, you could buy one and post a picture of it here; I have the exact same thing at home, so I could probably verify whether or not it looks right..

EDIT:

Ok, so I find a picture...sorta. You can see the oblets laying beside the bottle here. That's what they look like.

745_70-408-01.jpg

They're big, yellow pills with a score line so they can be broken in half. Chalky, too...no slick coating on them.

So if the guy hands you a big chalky yellow pill that's scored in the middle....prolly Levasole. :)

I also wasn't familiar enough with it to know if it came in tablets or how to dose. Do I just force 1 1/2 pills down their throats with a pill pusher that I use for the dogs?
Negative on the pill pusher...these things are big ol' horse pills. Like, huge.

What I use is this bolus gun from valley vet supply.

I highly recommend a good bolus gun for anyone's goat cabinet, and this is an EXCELLENT bolus gun. :)

This was also two weeks ago I saw it. I guess I am stopping on my way home from work. So much for going to the yarn store tonight. Hope they still have some. Ill let you know. I think they wanted like $1 something each; maybe?
I think that's what they were asking on a per-bolus basis when I bought mine, but since I bought the whole thing, they actually figured the whole bottle price and knocked 13% off...since it was only 87% full.

Like I said, though...they thought I was nuts. :p

They have been using Prohibit drench at the MD buck test, wonder where they got that?
I know of some university field tests around here where levasole was being used, and it was Prohibit as well...but they're out of it now. I know where they're getting their "new" levasole, and it's...well, it might be a little shady.

:hide

I suspect there are caches of the name-brand stuff here and there being hoarded and/or ferreted-out by people who make their living raising goats or educating about the practice of goatkeeping, but the name-brand stuff like Levasole, Tramisole, Prohibit, and so forth isn't in production anymore. If they're using name-brand levamisole products right now, they'll run out eventually.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Update- My bottle jaw doe has PINK eyes. It is light pink but definitely pink. I hit her with Cydectin on Sunday after 2 doses of Ivermectin last week 5 days apart and 3 days of Safeguard before that. She is getting feisty and head butting the other goats again. I am just letting her go for now and am checking her eyes every night to ensure they are getting darker. I dont think we are out of the woods but it has turned the corner. It has been two weeks since she went bottle jaw.

CM- how did your white eyed goat fare? Thank you for all your help.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He's crazy...that's how he is. :D

Something I noticed -- and something that makes sense, now that I think about it -- is that when he was still kinda down with worms, he'd just hang back with the adults and graze while the other kids ran laps and acted like nutty little goats..

Seemed content to do it, too.. Not depressed or lethargic, necessarily...almost "mature" if that makes sense. At first, I kinda thought maybe that's why he got the way he got -- because he seemed to spend more time consuming forage than his kidly counterparts.. That sorta made sense to me, I guess, but...well, I didn't really know. Just something I noticed and pondered for about 38 seconds..

However!...now that he's actually got some red blood cells in his body and can carry a little oxygen, he's out there kicking it up with the rest of the kids...butting heads, running wind sprints for no apparent reason, jumping up/down/up/down/up on the giant dead tree.. In short, he's being a kid goat.

:)

Just an observation.. So, yeah...he's good. :thumbsup

Glad your doeling's improved so much! You did a great job with her! :clap