Yogurt Kidded! baby pic Need advise

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yogurt wasn't due for another 10 days so I wasn't ready for this. I came home to a fluffy, dry but muddy running around and bouncing 8 lb boy!

1751_yogurt_baby.jpg

Forgive the muddy baby, my barn yard is a pit from all the rain.

Question, she is cleaning him, talking to him, nuzzling with him and seems to be a good mamma. He was dry when I came home, he is very active, his belly isn't full but it doesn't seem empty either btu every time I see him get near her udder, she side steps away.

All indications are she has fed him. I am just worried about the stepping away behavior.

Any clues?

Edited to add she is a first time mommy. 25% kiko, 75% boer

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Is she a first time mom? Maybe she just doesn't want to let him nurse when you are around.

Congratulations! he is a cutie!

St0rmyM00n

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Malina does this with her baby they go round and round in circles I worried for a while... then he would catch her while she was eating and it just worked out.

It takes a little bit for them to figure it out.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Keep an eye on him and her udder. If he gets lethargic or her udder gets over-full, he isn't getting enough to eat and you'll need to intervene.

Some does just seem to be annoyed at nursing their kids. I've got a doe who loves babies, any babies, but she's really touchy about her udder and doesn't like them to nurse very much. She also starts acting nervous when I am milking her and she's almost empty, like maybe her udder is sore a little bit still from the chronic mastitis she lived with a long time before I got her.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Her udder was really tight this morning. He wasn't lethargic but not as active as he was. Belly still seeming about half full.

So I milker her. That was a very tight udder and an adventure. I have Meat Goats.! I do not have a milking stand! I tied her head to the hay rack and pinned her to the wall while I struggled with tiny 1" long teats.

I am sore and bruised but I got about a quart out of her. She still has lots in there but at least she isn't tight anymore.

Baby was shivering so I took him up to the house. His temp was 100.0 degrees so I gave him about 4 oz of what I milked out. I put him in the laundry basket with a towel and turned the space heater on in the bathroom with the doors shut.

I am off to the feed store. I dropped my thermometer between the kidding pen and the barn wall and can't get it out! I am going to need it today.

I do not have time for a bottle baby!?!?!? I am leaving town tonight which is the reason I am off work today.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congrats!! Hope it works out...I have a FF thats not a fan of nursing either..but shes doing okay..it took alot of encouragement by me...but they are doing great.

I hope she settles into motherhood for you!!

Hes a Cute boy! ;)

Zanzabeez

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Congrats on your adorable new addition.

Sorry to hear about the issues with your doe letting him nurse. Is there anyway for you to pin her against the wall for him to nurse after he is all warmed up? I know it is harder to do with a boer doe but she may start to get the idea after he has nursed a few times.

Tracy