Yogurt Kidded! baby pic Need advise

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you are well on your way to having a bottle baby. What size pen do you have the two in? I recommend a small space no more than 4x6.

If she is nuzzling him and acting like the baby is hers, but just not letting him, nurse. she will have to be encouraged. Because my kidding pens are so small, I am able to just sit my bottom down on a bucket in the middle of the kidding pen, get the baby up, set the baby in front of mom, and let the baby try to suck on mom's chest and front legs, normally they will let them do this and act like the best mom in the world, until the baby gets near the forbidden area.

then they move away.

I let the mom kind of back herself into a corner and then just encourage the baby to keep finding the udder, sometimes just holding the mom's leg off to the side works, sometimes more restraining is needed and mom's head will need to be held.

the doe can learn that you aren't going to let her get away with walking away and you expect her to stand still, I do this every 3 or 4 hours during the day, making sure the baby is full at bedtime and then no more than 8 hours before the next feeding in the morning.

If the baby has lost the drive to eat from mom, supplementing with an ounce of milk can get the sucking drive going and then put baby by mom. It can be a very frustrating experience. then let the baby nurse as long as they want. Then repeat after 3 to 4 hours.

IF the baby is very lethargic I use around 15cc or 3 teaspoons of corn syrup, to kick start the nursing reflex, this kind of energy absorbes quickly, getting to the brain faster than milk would.

To recap:
-give baby a small amount of mother's milk or corn syrup
-let baby suck on the front of mom, so mom can see baby and spend mom time with her.
-after 3 or 4 min. nudge baby slowly towards the side and then back of mom.
-when mom freaks, put a hand on her side and talk calmly to her, but encourage her to stay put, up against the side of a pen in a corner works the best.
-if mom just want stand still, restrain her.
-repeat every 3 to 4 hours.

I ahve never seen a mom not take a baby, as long as the mom is showing affection towards the baby. May take 3 or 4 days.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I got him warmed up. I gave him some corn syrup and molasses, a B12 shot and took him out to mom. She nuzzled and licked him like crazy. He didn't try to nurse. I watched for a half an hour and he never tried. I figured he wasn't hungry yet so I left them together. I went up every 15 minutes to check on them, no nursing attempts. After 2 hours he was shivering again with a temp of 98 degrees YIKES!

So he warming up in my bathroom again. he is up to 100 degrees. I would like to get him a little warmer and try again.

I am on plane in 5 hours! :barnie

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh man, I don't have any advice but you do have my sympathy! Hope the little fella figures it out. :fl

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
When I have problems with first time alpaca moms, I find a shot or two of Banamine will work many times. They are in pain and don't want that baby back where it hurts. Get them out of pain and then they have no problems with letting them nurse.

Good luck!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Very very frustrating, I can feel for you. If the kid was mine, I would do the following things if I couldn't get a good sucking reflex, I would drench with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda with a little corn syrup and milk mixed it, And give a 1/2cc Bo-Se shot,if you haven't already done that.

I am assuming when you gave him the 4 oz of milk,he had a sucking reflex then, I would consider That a quit a bit of milk for a new born, and maybe it upset his stomach. Especially, if he was laying around a lot.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
When I have problems with first time alpaca moms, I find a shot or two of Banamine will work many times. They are in pain and don't want that baby back where it hurts. Get them out of pain and then they have no problems with letting them nurse.

Good luck!
That's a good idea. I've noticed this too sometimes, after the birth the doe hurts and she associates the kid with the pain and is afraid of it hurting her again. Also, the udder can be pretty sore at first, because it's filled with milk and she's not used to the pressure of a full udder, or the feel of a kid bumping/nibbling/pulling on her teats.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When I left last night he was doing ok. I had given him another bottle and hubby put the heat lamps bck up in the kidding stall. Hubby said he doing well when he went to bed last night and I haven;t heard from him since.

I haven't heard from hubby yet this morning but the 3 hour time zone difference makes it difficult. I hope to hear from him at lunch. This is the worst part, not knowing how he is doing!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
When I have a mom that is not sure about letting the baby nurse, I'll actually put the kid/lamb ON the teat. I'll hold the baby in place and open its mouth if I have to, and put it on the teat. Usually the baby will start nursing and the mom will figure out it's ok to let them nurse. Sometimes you have to do this a couple times, but it's way better than a bottle baby, and better than wondering if the baby is nursing or not. :)

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Aggie, sometimes you have to have help and hold the doe and put the kid up to the teat. I sometimes squeeze the teat a bit and get some milk on the baby's mouth and usually that gets baby's interest in nursing going. Besides, they are getting colustrum which they must have the first 24 hrs of life.

DonnaBelle

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We did put the teat in him mouth, several times. Waited for him to get hungry and tried again. He just didn't seem to get it. :he

Hubby said his temp was fine this morning but he didn't want much of his bottle. He said it looked like he *might* have been nursing. Hubby isn't the best at judging but lets hope! :fl