Yogurt Question

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My wife made a batch of goat milk yogurt using a plain yogurt as the culture. We then kept back about a quarter cup from each quart to use as culture for the next batch. The second round was a little tangy. The third batch is REALLY tangy tasting. Does anyone know what causes this? We are trying to get creative in finding uses for the milk, and I really liked the yogurt from the first batch. The second batch was edible but I'm not sure about this last round. I don't know anything about making yogurt and Sheri is using a recipe from one of her goat milk groups. I thought I'd check here in case anyone has a suggestion for us.

Thanks

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Some yogurt cultures do better than others. Personally I only use my existing yogurt as a starter twice and then I gemore yogurt from the store. Activia is a good one for me.

The length of time the milk sits with the culture in it can cause a more "tangy" or intense flavor too.

It is also possible you just don't need as much starter for later batches.

Just my own experience along with what my mother does in making yogurt regularly.

When I get a batch that I don't like plain, then it is time to add some syrup. Some of my jellies and jams don't set well so they make perfect additions to my yogurt. Of course then I often end up with something more like kefir in texture. But, it is still good in my opinion.

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you. We've been playing around with different cultures, and found one we liked. I can't remember which one it is but Sheri knows. We also did the plain yogurt for a culture and that was what was tangy. I've added some granola in ours and it seems to help the taste. We also got a culture for Kefir, and we are going to try that this weekend.

Thanks again for the input. We are really new at making all of the wonderful things with goat milk.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Enjoy the journey and learn from the results. I would also add keep notes so that you have a better chance of repeating the results you liked - and avoiding the results you didn't.

Personally I like to add about a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla to a quart of yogurt. It is one thing you can add with the starter and won't effect the texture of the final product.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love Kefir.

If I make yogurt I use Fage as my starter but I have also used the sweet yogurt culture from New England Cheesemaking. My yogurt never gets thick enough for me so I just make keifer now and drink it. Or I drink the yogurt. I have tried adding powdered milk to make it thicker, also tried gelatin. Nope. Just drink it.

I have never kept some for the next batch, but it seems logical that each batch would get a little more tangy. Are you heating the milk as they suggest? I think it is 180°