You ewe you. Or-she's down and cant get up.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly. I have 58 healthy sheep... A week ago she had bottle jaw so I wormed her. Jaw got better next day but relapsed slightly through the week. I added a vit B injection. Jaw is fine but the greedy wench choked on her kibble twice. Second time she was very distressed so I gave her about 4 mL olive oil to lubricate the choke. It worked. Everything seemed fine for 24 hours then last night she laid down and can't get up. Picked at kibble but eats hay, drinks water. Is pregnant with about a month to go. No fever. Poop is fine. 7years old with no history of problems. Any ideas?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Old age, loss of teeth, can't chew properly, equalls to progressive issues........

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll have a look in her mouth. Presently she's enjoying some cabbage.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Or a smart sheep who knows her adoring owner will bring her everything she wants.......

On a more serious note, I don't know what is wrong with her, you might want to get the vet out to see her. I hope she improves.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree and nearly added remarks about a diva. She's OK for now a cold night, covered up and still annihilating cabbage and drinking water. Weekend and no vet we will see what tomorrow brings. (Yes a Vikings reference). Thanks everyone.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't own sheep but I do raise dairy goats.
I'd be checking for pregnancy toxemia. Possibly starting on a little CMPK too

Obviously the parasites take a lot out of her, with her being taxed it can lead to the toxemia.

What is her FAMACHA?

Again- I don't raise sheep. But if she were one of my dairy goats these are the things I'd be looking at.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I started her w a commercial propylene glycol product when I noticed the bottle jaw and wormed her. I'm treating her for pregnancy toxemia. She's alert, drinking and eating sweet feed, hay and sheep mineral. Just can't get up. Coming up on the 48 hour mark.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, since she's not using her legs, maybe you can take them and have roast leg(s) of lamb? Just kidding of course! Hope she gets up and gets better.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saw a message about an additional worming. She was wormed 5 days ago w prohibit a lower strength dose as I believed she had a heavy load and I just wanted to stop the anemia. Worming message isn't showing up can you repost?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That post was mine but since I wasn't sure what you wormed with I wanted to know that first and deleted it. We only had one lamb with Barber Pole this season and had to wind up worming every 10 days for 3 doses. Fecal to the vet each time still showed a fairly heavy load until after the 3rd dose. She was not doing great to start with and will be culled.