You would think he's dying. (but I know he isn't) Banding my goats.

HeidiO

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to banding my boys last week. It was a new experience for me. I've helped when my dad has done calves, so I figured I could handle it. My boys are really easy to handle. They just figured out how to pee on things, or eachother, or themselves. Ewww.
I did the first, Clovis (the youngest), all was well, he looked good and went to eat. I did the next, Monty,(the biggest) same story. I went to catch the third, Newt, but stopped to check on Clovis. He was laying on his side, back legs stiff, calling out. He kept throwing his head back and crying, eyes rolling back, he looked like he was having a seizure. I got so freaked out I cut the band off. I called my dad, to see if I could have done something wrong, but other than going to high, to low, or catching a teat, you can't really mess up right? I made my dad come over and do the 2 a couple days later. Same behavior. I felt horrible. But as he calmed down and relaxed, it actually was kind of funny, which then made me feel bad for thinking it was funny. Monty and Newt were just kind of lazy for a day, but for the first hour or 2 Clovis was the biggest baby.
I know it has to hurt, I am just used to livestock being so stoic.
Anyway, figured I would share this, just incase somebody else thinks they are accidentally killing their goat. This was something the Internet didn't tell me with all my research.
BTW, the boys are all doing great.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Thanks for sharing a funny story :lol: Crazy over-acting animals... :welcome!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've had a couple act like that... but then I guess it kinda gets numb down there and doesn't seem to bother them anymore after that. But, it can be kind of unnerving at first, lol.

rochelle~loves~goats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing, I will be having my Bully banded, I have a question for you? My Bully is 1 yr old, the previous owners never did anything with these 2 goats I got from them for free, my question is....he's not to old to be banded is he? Cuz I don't want it done the other way I've heard horror stories & want my Bully safe!
Thank you for your time❤️

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is in most peoples opinion to old to be banded. At a year old you likely will not be able to use the regular band used for goat/sheep kids/lambs. The initial recovery time can take 4-7 days because it is much more painful at such an age and it will also take more then the standard 2 weeks for his testes to fall off. Also the ability to hold him still to get the band on properly is going to be a challenge. After 6-8 months of age most would recommend having a vet take off the testicles if thats what you want. This is also the wrong time of year to be banding because of flies. Whatever method you use make sure he has his CDT vaccination before you do it. CDT is a course of 2 shots.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd have my vet castrate him at this point.

I don't know what you mean by the "other way" as there are several methods. I know others have banded mature bucks, but I would never do it.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree. Time for the vet. That would be the kindest, safest way to do it at this point.

If you read fias co farms website there are also arguments against banding. I haven't decided what I'll be doing with my kids next year. My husband cringes at the idea of the burdizzo though... Haha

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah i could never use a burdizzo...it gives me the creeps and the way it looks with the dents after it is done...nope not for me.

I think @rochelle~loves~goats might have been talking about an emasculator.

DH said in Iowa his family used to cut all their sheep....oddly they banded the goats lol.