Young goat died, looking for cause

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey y’all, been a while since I checked in here.

My friend got a young goat last night and she passed away this afternoon.

Goat was 6 months old. When I saw her today she was already downed and had been for a little while. No fever, clear eyes, no gunk on her nose or butt. No diarrhea or anything. Solid heart beat, great famacha score, stomach sounds. No external parasites.

I got molasses on her gums, syringed some water with electrolytes. Gave her sub-q fluids. The sub-qs were crazy. I’ve never had an animal absorb so quickly. Also gave vitamin B shots, and colostrum. Colostrum gel was the only thing I had with probiotics and vitamin e. When I first arrived she perked a little with the molasses, but she was too weak to lift her head. Apparently she stumbled out of her house in the morning and went down. I got there within an hour or two of that.

One of the things that bothered me was she kept wanting to curl her head and her foot.

Any ideas at all?

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey y’all, been a while since I checked in here.

My friend got a young goat last night and she passed away this afternoon.

Goat was 6 months old. When I saw her today she was already downed and had been for a little while. No fever, clear eyes, no gunk on her nose or butt. No diarrhea or anything. Solid heart beat, great famacha score, stomach sounds. No external parasites.

I got molasses on her gums, syringed some water with electrolytes. Gave her sub-q fluids. The sub-qs were crazy. I’ve never had an animal absorb so quickly. Also gave vitamin B shots, and colostrum. Colostrum gel was the only thing I had with probiotics and vitamin e. When I first arrived she perked a little with the molasses, but she was too weak to lift her head. Apparently she stumbled out of her house in the morning and went down. I got there within an hour or two of that.

One of the things that bothered me was she kept wanting to curl her head and her foot.

Any ideas at all?
Hm. Sorry nobody has given you any replies. I guess after 3 days it’s too late to have a necropsy done. Being that this happened immediately upon purchasing the goat, your friend should probably be asking a lot of questions to the seller. I myself do not know enough about goats to have any ideas for you. Perhaps the shock of moving to a new home was too much for her? I think that would indicate there was already something wrong with the goat before she bought it. I hope it didn’t have some kind of disease that your friend has now brought onto her property.