young goat drooling and just not herself

Christina's Dream

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Lilly was fine this morning but when I went out to give the next feeding to the ducks she came running not making any noises and wanted to cuddle. she is drooling alot. I gave her some baking soda and she is drooling and burping about the same. I'm kinda thinking she ate too much today (goats should be called pigs)

Anyone guessing the same as me and anything I can do to help her out or is it just a waiting game??

I know she ate nothing dangerous.

Thanks

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Does she have a temp? How old is she? Do you put out grain free choice? Is this from grazing or eating grain? Is there a lot of clover in your field?

Christina's Dream

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Nope no fever...

She is in the back yard with the ducks, so just grass for her.

And I don't know how old she is...i got her from an auction on Good Friday.... She was weaned just weaned but good to go.

I just gave her some water via suringe to make sure she can swallow and that seems fine, nothing in her throat....

She has started to cry for me when i'm out of site just kinda a throaty sounding cry not loud and out of her mouth. But she is happy to chase me to be able to follow me. Right now she is on my lap while I'm typing (her favorite spot to be :)

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Has she ever been vaccinated?

Has she ever been treated for coccidiosis?

Of you don't think she ate anything out of the ordinary, I would be concerned about the above two issues.

coccidiosis can be detected by bringing in a fecal test to the vets office, but it can make a goat sick very fast, and I wouldn't wait too long.

Overeating disease can look and act like bloat. I would give her some more baking soda, 1 teaspoon or so, and some mineral oil, not positive what everyone elses recommended dosage of that would be, but probably like one ounce or so(30 cc). If she isn't looking better after a couple treatments every 4 hours, I would move on to finding out more about coccidiosis or overeating disease.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'd have a fecal ran to test for cocci, get her vaccinated, and I am wondering if she's had any access to the duck's food...
It's not good for goats.

Cocci can and will kill goat kids, and 'tis the season for it.

Good luck!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I'd have a fecal ran to test for cocci, get her vaccinated, and I am wondering if she's had any access to the duck's food...
It's not good for goats.

Cocci can and will kill goat kids, and 'tis the season for it.

Good luck!
x2

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I have never seen drooling associated with cocci...would tend to agree with Karen, wondering about clover (which is slightly toxic and can cause drooling)...or some other toxic plant. Frothy bloat causes frothy drool, but is also accompanied by a VERY painful goat. Choke, too, which the OP has ruled out via checking swallowing ability, and would also be associated it a panic stricken animal...

Christina's Dream

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well this morning, she is about the same. tons of drool not dripping but just kinda more like a wet mouth. She is happy to be bouncing around and following me every where. I took yours guys advice and gave her some mineral oil. So fingers crossed that helps her pass it.

Now I don't have a field but I did find clover in my back yard, not sure if she has eaten any of that but that would be about the only think I could think of.

Cocci.... I'm not sure there, she is my only goat so i'm not sure how she would get it. I'm really thinking it is just her eating something. I have found that she got into the baby duck food...it is non medicated feed and i'm finding that in her drool. So that is my thoughts.

Any more ideas??? I'll keep you posted. But to me she looks like she just ate to much...kinda like hubby after an all you can eat adventure :)

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
NO poop or runny poop since she has been doing this?

Cocci is in their system and when they undergo stress like at the auction, they have a cocci bloom.

But the more I read everyonse advice, I am thinking it sounds like to much to eat or possibly she add shreds of something and she has a blockage in her stomach. Recently a thread on here about a goat who had ate a hole in a tarp and the goat drolled and looked bloated, stayed off feed, throw-up I beleive, and eventually didn't make it.

I would give her some more mineral oil and baking soda, maybe mineral oil twice today, and the baking soda one time. Make sure it is mineral oil at this point and not another oil, like corn oil.

the mineral oil is suppose to act as a lubricant and help the feed pass through the system.