Young goat pen

Clementsfarm13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello! So me and my husband put together a nice covered pen for our two young goats we brought home today but when we went to the store for not ever 30 minutes and came back they were in the yard (out of the pen) and im believing they climbed the fence to get out... how do i fix this problem? Pictures coming soon

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH (in case I didn't welcome you back in March). Goats are the great escape artists. If there's anything they can jump up on near the fence, they will use it to get out. The grass is always greener to them. Young goats means? HOW young? and what breed? Are they small goats or full sized (standard)? What are you using for fencing to hold them in? Little goats can go through some fencing. Pictures would be great (and helpful regarding the escapes).

Clementsfarm13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The pen we built has fencing about 4 feet tall the holes are small enough where they can't get their head stuck but they're three months old boer cross. We were thinking maybe do barbed wire about two feet high and then barbed wire on the top

Clementsfarm13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This style fencing but four feet tall and a 13 by probably 30 foot area

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170507-103747.png
    Screenshot_20170507-103747.png
    528.1 KB · Views: 194

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
First off, I will say that I do not like barbed wire, especially around that young of an animal. If ya do decide to use it be prepared for an emergency rush to the vet. Are they up-to-date on their CDT shots, they will need to be with the wounds that they will get from the barbed wire. Goats only know forward, so when they get caught or hung up in something they don't stop and backup to untangle theirself....they keep springing forward. It is no fun trying to untangle them either, because that wire will grab you too...while trying to settle a struggling animal down.
If they are panels that you are using, then how are they secured? Goats will rub on any and everything, it's in their DNA. So, they are either separating the panels, or are pushing them out at the bottom and going under. They also will spring off of the slightest edge to jump, anything that is just a couple of inches wide will allow them to spring in the air to another point. When ours were the age of yours, we had one that would jump from the deck to the side of the building and then spring in a different direction. Without a pic it is really difficult to give any specifics or ideas that would be directly beneficial to ya. Knowing what my experiences have been, I would strongly advise against the barbed wire.

Clementsfarm13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
First off, I will say that I do not like barbed wire, especially around that young of an animal. If ya do decide to use it be prepared for an emergency rush to the vet. Are they up-to-date on their CDT shots, they will need to be with the wounds that they will get from the barbed wire. Goats only know forward, so when they get caught or hung up in something they don't stop and backup to untangle theirself....they keep springing forward. It is no fun trying to untangle them either, because that wire will grab you too...while trying to settle a struggling animal down.
If they are panels that you are using, then how are they secured? Goats will rub on any and everything, it's in their DNA. So, they are either separating the panels, or are pushing them out at the bottom and going under. They also will spring off of the slightest edge to jump, anything that is just a couple of inches wide will allow them to spring in the air to another point. When ours were the age of yours, we had one that would jump from the deck to the side of the building and then spring in a different direction. Without a pic it is really difficult to give any specifics or ideas that would be directly beneficial to ya. Knowing what my experiences have been, I would strongly advise against the barbed wire.
Okay thank you i will probably be going with the hot wire or something of that nature. We have the panels extremely secured in the large wooden posts of the pole barn they are in so there is no moving the panels at all. I will take a picture momentarily