Young Goat with Bloat

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I came home from work on Weds., and when I went out to take care of my animals, I noticed an empty feed bag laying in the pen. When I got up there, I discovered that my pygmy goats had somehow knocked the entire feed bin over, and had been having a free-for-all. They all seemed o.k., but when I came home last night, one of my wethers was obviously suffering from bloat (he's only around 6 1/2 months old). I did everything I could (walking, massaging the rumen, and drenching with oil) for over an hour. Then I got back up at 10:30 and walked and massaged for another half hour. He seemed much better this morning, but how long before his belly looks less bloated? It's not quite as big as last night, and I did hear sounds coming from it this morning, but he looks terribly uncomfortable.:(

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!!

I would also give a little baking soda too...that might help. I will mix a little water with molasses and baking soda and have him drink a bit...it might help. But your doing what needs to be done...you can also try having him stand up on you or something with his front legs higher while massaging..that angle helps move things along too!! Good luck!

Goaties...they are something!!! :barnie

A whole bag huh???? :sick

PS I love them name...we almost named our farm DOLITTLE Farms!! :lol: But we found it wasnt true!! We do do do alot !!!

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He was vaccinated before I got him. He seems to be doing quite a bit better----but his sides still seem huge (especially compared to his twin brother). I haven't given any of the goats their grain since this happened-----I will once he gets completely back to normal.

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Glad to hear he hisw doing better.

Maybe try some more baking soda.

Be careful how much grain you give him, not a good idea to give bucks too much grain, they can get UC.

Hay and browsing/grazing is usually enough for bucks.

Keep us all posted.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, he's all better! I haven't given any of them their grain since he got sick, but I'll go back to their reg. feeding tomorrow. Each of my goats (2 wethers and 3 does) get 1/4 C. of feed two times a day. They have never had a problem, but what is UC?

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
drdoolittle said:
Well, he's all better! I haven't given any of them their grain since he got sick, but I'll go back to their reg. feeding tomorrow. Each of my goats (2 wethers and 3 does) get 1/4 C. of feed two times a day. They have never had a problem, but what is UC?
Glad to hear their doing better!!! :celebrate

UC is Urinary Calculi...it happens to bucks and wethers. Its a urinary stone that blocks them so they cannot urinate or barley urinate. Like kidney stones for people. It can be caused by differant things. Most commonly is feed. I had lost a young buck to it...couldnt dislodge or remove the stone and had to euthenize him...It was heart breaking! :hit Balancing the calcium:phosphorus ratio is essential in preventing it. Ideally it should be a 2:1 ratio. Read Read Read about this!!! If you are keeping males..bucks or wethers I highly recomend you educate yourself on this!!! SOOO IMPORTANT!!

Its important, if you feed your boys grain it has to have animonium chloride in it too. Actually you dont even need to feed grain to the boys at all but if you do read the lables on your feed and make sure animonium chlorides in it and its a 2:1 ratio calcium:phosphorus! I cant stress to you enough to educate yourself on this if your keeping boys!!! I would'nt want you to go through what we did...Hard Hard lesson to learn!! :( Although our boy was on 2:1. We did not have the amonium chloride in it until it was too late for him...the stones developed during the feed switch. So its worth investagating for sure...Its horribly painful to them too...if you can imagine!

Good luck...I would definatley google it and read!!! Happy reading!!! :pop

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Emmetts Dairy said:
UC is Urinary Calculi...it happens to bucks and wethers. Its a urinary stone that blocks them so they cannot urinate or barley urinate. Like kidney stones for people.
It's actually not *a* stone, but more like sand, and they're quite unlike kidney stones in people. Kidney stones in humans are usually oxalate stones that build up over time...urinary calculi can precipitate quickly into crystals, almost like ice crystals form in water..

They're made of magnesium, ammonia, and phosphorus.

It can be caused by differant things. Most commonly is feed. I had lost a young buck to it...couldnt dislodge or remove the stone and had to euthenize him...It was heart breaking! :hit Balancing the calcium:phosphorus ratio is essential in preventing it. Ideally it should be a 2:1 ratio.
According to the so-called 'experts,' ideal would be 2 - 2.5:1, which means feed should be *at least* 2:1.

Personally, I tend to load boys down pretty heavy with calcium these days. Alfalfa -- hay or pellets -- are good. :)

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
According to the so-called 'experts,' ideal would be 2 - 2.5:1, which means feed should be *at least* 2:1.

Personally, I tend to load boys down pretty heavy with calcium these days. Alfalfa -- hay or pellets -- are good. :)
Good to know!! Thanks!! We will be adding too...