Young rabbit convulsing

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok so I sold a family a few rabbits several weeks ago and they messaged me saying they male(which was the smallest) is not responding and is convulsing. From my understanding is they have had them inside. But that's all I know anything can be done for this bunny or is it already to late?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry that happened...
I've never had a rabbit come back from convulsions :(
How old are they? And how are they describing the convulsions?
Usually the rabbit will have their back arched, their head back with their mouth open, gasping for air.
Convulsions/seizures in rabbits can be caused by a deficiency of vitamins, and excessive amount of a vitamin, eating a toxic plant (I've had that happen when I bought new hay) and other health issues can also cause them so it's hard to know for sure why it happens.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
He died thy just said he was unresponsive and convulsing. About 30-40 minutes later they said it died. I don know what pellets they got for them but I know tht try have been giving them grass which I do as well but I suppose it's probably a different grass most of my yard consist of coastal and the rest is weeds. Not tell sure what to do for them as. Dot have another male I can replace him with the only one I have left is a female so yeah..

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aw that's too bad. It could have been a toxic plant that they accidentally gave him...
Not sure what you can do for them...maybe offer them the female, and if they don't want her offer to give them the next male you have available?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wont be till next year I have two young males my new breeding stock my older male passed. But they said they did want her.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh okay. Well I've gotten baby rabbits that didn't make it.
Babies have very weak immune systems and the smallest things can set them off.
I've sold a few rabbits to people who said they died and if it's believable (I've had some nut-bags!) I will offer them another kit or their money back. Some people were willing to wait quite a while for the next litter.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
The sad thing is you cannot guarantee a rabbits health once it leaves your property.... :hide they feed it junk, they let their dog play with it.... it freaks and breaks it's back, the list can go on... I guess a reason we don't specifically sell for pets.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
At first I thought it was one family then realized it was the other o that drove me crazy... They killed on bunny she allowed her toddle t feed it something. An then wanted six bunnies but didn't want to pay the full price for all of them. I am selling them for 10 a piece most around here are going to 25 but I wanted them gone as we need to make repairs to the housing an cages.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
$10 is not much at all...are these meat rabbits? I can't imagine not paying full price for $10 rabbits!
People can be terrible...I had a lady yesterday pick up a baby and then she called me last night and told me it had diarrhea. I asked if she fed it any fruits/vegetables and she said she gave it an apple.
I write care sheets for all my rabbits and it specifically said not to do that, and when she was looking at the rabbit I explained that they can't have fresh fruits/veggies until 6 months...she just wasn't listening and that is not my fault.
I told her what to do for the diarrhea and that she needs to read the care sheet :smack

Latest posts