"Your Alpaca is Dead Again"

BlondeSquirrel04

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a 12 year old female alpaca. She likes to keep "playing dead" as we call it. I'll find her on her side, neck back, looking like she's going to die. She's done this to me 4 times in the past year!

First, she was down with meningeal worm. Followed the protocol, wormed her well and she recovered quickly. This was last summer/fall.

Second time it appeared to be choke. She was making these gurgling sounds and sounded very gassy. This was the worst I've ever seen her. I gave a baking soda, canola oil, and Gas-X drench as a last resort. I figured she'd pass either way. Nope. About 30 minutes later, I saw that she had gotten up and walked away. This was probably a month ago.

Third time, neighbor called and said she looked dead. Came home and found her down again. No gas sounds, and no meningeal worm for sure. Tried to help her up and she resisted. A few minutes later, she popped herself up and walked away. Two weeks ago.

Fourth time was last night. Again, found her on her side, looking like it was the end. She seemed gassy like the other time, so I did the same as before. Baking soda and oil drench. Went out to check 15 minutes later, and she's up at the feed pan wanting dinner.

The vets around here are no help. If she had a broken leg, they could treat that. Otherwise, no help.

Does this sound like an ulcer, or old age, or...??

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you sure she is actually sick and not just sleeping? My llamas sleep like that all the time, especially if it is nice and sunny.

BlondeSquirrel04

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
But the gurgling, gassy, moaning sounds? And no chewing of cud?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If that is happening, then it does sound like she is bloating. But not sure why. If she has an ulcer, then you would want to get Sulcrafate and give that to her twice a day for 14 days at a rate of 1 pill per 50 lbs. dissolve in water and drench it. 12 really isn't that old.

BlondeSquirrel04

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Could it be the hay? It's just a timothy & orchard mix. I realized the first time this gurgling/gassy thing happened was soon after I got a hay delivery. I plan on getting a new delivery soon once this last bale is out.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If there is something in the hay, that could affect them. They type wouldn't be the problem. But maybe if it was sprayed or if it is extremely dusty or some type of weed in it.

BlondeSquirrel04

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It does seem dustier than normal. The exterior had been rained on so that got moldy in spots and I did not feed it. What they get now is very green and looks fine. If it's questionable, I discard.

Maybe I'll mix some baking soda in her feed because that does seem to do the trick both times that she was gassy.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Sounds good. You could also get Gastroguard. There is a horse one that you can get over the counter.