Your assistance is needed

Kathi Davis

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am going to be getting my first set of three Nigerian goats in a month. They will be weaned from their mothers for at least a week when we get them. Here are some questions I have. I am brand new at Nigerians so how do they differ from Boer Goats would be great too? (Besides the size).

What do I feed them?
How much room will they need since they are not very big?
How likely are they to get sick since they are so little? My children would be crushed to have one get sick.
Any other information you can give me would be great.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you getting does, bucks or wethers?
How old are they being weaned?

You will always need free choice hay of some kind. What type of hay is readily available in your area at a reasonable price? You probably have alfalfa in IA I would think.

You need to find out what he breeder who you are getting them from feeds and maybe start with that.

Kathi Davis

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The Nigerians are all does. They Boer goats are going to be Weathers. I believe that when I get them they will be 6-8 weeks but I will check with the breeder. Around here we have alfalfa and then we can also get what is considered grass hay. It is basically what the DNR lets people mow and bale by ditches or fields. We use it more for bedding than for feeding but the goats do like munching on it some.