1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Do you think Pony Rides should be allowed at Fairs? - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Your Checklist for Kidding Prep?

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Goats' started by DellaMyDarling, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Aug 18, 2019
    DellaMyDarling

DellaMyDarling Ridin' The Range

(Hopefully) approaching our first rodeo in goat kidding here on the homestead.
    I've been reading and researching, but feel my good and recommended books are overwhelming me. Mama Rhonda should be growing me some lovely babies for mid October.
    Please tell me your prep and checklist for kidding!
    I see many good supply lists, but I'm more concerned with forgetting to administer a supplement, or timing training to milk stand, or who knows what...
    Break it down for me? What should ideally be done and when?

2. Sep 23, 2019
    DellaMyDarling

DellaMyDarling Ridin' The Range

Bumping this up, clock is ticking and I think we are on schedule, less than 4 weeks.
    Mama is showing nesting behaviors, like pulling all the hay from feeder, squishing it around in a dark corner, and chilling in it. I don't see much of that mentioned, but my instincts say it's just the late pregnancy hormones like in humans.

I do NOT want to be calling vets in to do anything I can do myself.
    Under impression I can get the necessary vaccines at Tractor Supply, no? And, is there really a debate in things like CDT?

Fiasco Farms site says I should now begin weekly selenium if we are in a deficiency area (I am, and have it on hand, so proceed?)

I haven't read the chapter yet...
    When should I look at routine things for the potential kids? One breeder in area said his were too young for vaccines when I inquired about a 7 week weanling, so I'm a bit confused now.
    It is undecided if any kids will be retained or all sold, but leaning towards selling this time.

Herd all tested negative from previous owners of which I have confidence in.
    When would you test again and must a vet do it?

3. Sep 23, 2019
    lalabugs

lalabugs Loving the herd life

I always give CDT 4 weeks prior to kidding. Yes, you can get CDT from Tractor supply. Some people do not give CDT. It's a personal choice. I prefer to vaccinate my herd with CDT. I vaccinate my kids at 4 weeks and 8 weeks, then annually.

My kidding bag check list:
    Iodine
    Large puppy pads
    Towels
    Baby nose sucker
    lube (i prefer a water based lube)
    gloves

I also have molasses on hand and make a 8 qt bucket of warm molasses tea for the doe after kidding. I have not had a doe not suck it down. They love it.

I test annually, unless I bring in a new goat. No, a vet does not have to do it. You can pull the blood yourself and send it off.

When I first started with goats, I started watching them closely 4 weeks out. Now not so much. I do start locking them up at night by themselves with a camera in their pen to keep an eye on them and see how they normally act. They are not locked up during the day. The other does they are close to are locked up in a pen next to them where they can see/smell each other.

I do start taking udder pics at 8 weeks out. Once a week to see the difference in udder. The last week I take daily pictures. It really helps to see the difference. Since you are seeing the goat daily. I have goats that their udder became huge and shiny. Others did not get a shiny udder at all.