Your fav breed here:

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, I’ll start! Even though I like several chicken breeds, my official favorite is Black Langshans. I love their “wine goblet” shape, and how big they are. And their dark brown eggs. I also like white ones, and I would like to like blue and splash Langshans, but the group of blues that I got from Welp last year did not grow out well at all. I have none of those left.

My first two BLs came from a show breeder. They will be 6 years old this spring. Then I have 2 four year olds that I bred myself from some Murray MacMurray stock. I have no rooster, so they will be the end of the line until some day I get some more to start over with.

Oh, and I have one 3 year old blue hen who is half BL and half blue splash Marans. She’s almost as pretty as a purebred.

The only Langshan photo I can find on my phone right now, Maleficent and Maid Marian, when they were young:
1615503221602.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I currently have red sex links. They are calm friendly hens that lay well. I’ve had them before, also black sex links. I like Easter Eggers for the pretty eggs. I love Wyandotte’s of all the colors, but Silver Laced Wyandotte’s have a special place in my heart-they are so pretty!

Delaware chickens were horrible. Mean girls! They killed every hen that wasn’t a Delaware. I thought my white Easter Egger, Elsa, would be ok, but they killed her too. I never have enjoyed killing chickens, but I sure didn’t mind slaughtering those &%#¥£€*$ Delaware mean hens! Never again!

I want White Rocks and Jubilee Orpingtons next year. White Rocks for their eggs and meat capabilities, plus the roosters are reputed to be calm and not mean. Jubilee Orpingtons for eye candy.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Plymouth White Rocks are my all time favorite. Great layers of brown eggs, feed thrifty and meatier than any other dual purpose breed I've had....and in 44 yrs raising chickens, I've had a lot. They are a calm, regal walking breed, the roosters are docile and sometimes very moochy and friendly and not too talkative. The hens will go broody just enough to reproduce their own kind but not so broody that you can't break them of it. They are excellent mothers, excellent foragers and enjoy excellent health. They also have a better feather quality than any other breed I've raised....have never seen a WR with rooster wear on her saddle.

A rare family shot on the roosts....love this pic!
100_4676 - Copy.jpg

I never had a white chicken breed that actually shines in the sun before, but these WRs do...high feather quality.

100_0493.JPG

100_2215 (2).jpg

100_3045.jpg

These two chose to brood together....one is a WR and the other is a BA/WR mix.

100_3266.jpg

100_3283.jpg

This one had a nest in the woods and raised her brood out in the meadow and in the woods until they were much older.

100_4624 - Copy.jpg

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The hens will go broody just enough to reproduce their own kind but not so broody that you can't break them of it. They are excellent mothers, excellent foragers and enjoy excellent health.
These are the same reason's I like Dark Cornish and Spangled Cornish bantam's for their color. They are not super friendly another reason I like them. They lay better than what's claimed and I figure having a few extra hens to make up for egg production also helps make up for predator reduction. And If one hides and broods a batch of chicks while the coop gets raided I already have my replacements.

That said you can't beat a mutt. Hybrid vigor. If you think about it, all true breeds are mixed with an end result in mind. 100yrs later there is no mix.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What is your favorite chicken breed? Why do you like it? Do you want more? This is the place to talk about that kind of stuff. Enjoy

NEWCOMER
Silver laced sebrights. The pictures are my newest pullet- Minnie!

Attachments

• 395C9743-99C3-4096-966D-C516C9AAFA4E.jpeg
    395C9743-99C3-4096-966D-C516C9AAFA4E.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 553CD1CC-4A56-45BB-B52A-147C1456C348.jpeg
    553CD1CC-4A56-45BB-B52A-147C1456C348.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 116

NEWCOMER

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I forgot to finish answering all the questions. I love how small they are and they have such a big attitude. They are like Minnie dogs. Ha ha puns... I want to breed these in the future.
Lovely birds! You should apply for the picture of the week (POW)
I entered but, there's no way a peach blossom will win the home page

Latest posts