Zebu colors

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Currently in New Delhi, India, originally Bihar
Sometimes people will have goats graze in old cemeteries but people here do not like it. If other livestock was allowed to graze in cemeteries people would get very upset.

Wow!!! It is believed that cemetery grass makes the milk sweet. They are also used for parties and in some cemeteries where martyrs or heros or saintly persons are buried hold fairs in their memory.

So you can't graze your cows on empty land with no crops standing if it belongs to someone else. That sounds very selfish!!! Most of the agricultural land here are empty now because wheat has been harvested in April and rice will not be sown until July so we can graze our livestock on the empty land regardless of its ownership. I guess they can legally stop us, but no one does this. Why would they?

The nomads travel hundreds of kilometres every year with their herds. Their herds are sometimes huge. Their cows devour grass like locust and they are agressive and street smart. Some herds have more animals than an entire village. Fights often break out between resident farmers and nomadic herders. The government never intervenes, they say "when Mauryans, Mughals and Brits failed to settle your fights what makes you think that we can?"

Here is a camp of Rabari herders

Here's a Rabari's herd, count the cows if you can. They have no land

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Maybe that might be true, but that's no reason shut your eyes from the rest of the world. In this age knowledge is power. I know longer keep cattle or deal in cattle. I haven't kept a cow in like 5 years. I got rid of them to focus on Water Buffaloes.

Here are 10 breeds of zebu cattles from only India and Pakistan just to show the diversity of zebu breeds.

DeoniView attachment 85656

Haryana
View attachment 85657

Gir
View attachment 85658

Red Sindhi
View attachment 85659

SahiwalView attachment 85660

Tharparkar/white Sindhi

View attachment 85667
Kankrej

View attachment 85663

Amrit Mahal
View attachment 85664

Nimari
View attachment 85665

Nari
View attachment 85666
This is just pictures of humped cattle. Such as the Brahman here and there. Mini Zebu's are an old breed and used thousands of years ago to make other larger humped breeds like some above. I know some use the definition of Zebu as humped cattle. This is more specific to the Mini Zebu
They have also been used to make many of the American miniature cattle in more recent years.

Many reasons to have them. 1 is that you can have 3 on the same amount of land as one large cow. 2 They look nice. I got into them for the nestalgic look to pull carts and not need a huge trailer or a second one when hauling horses to a race or other horse event. 3 like the larger Brahman they are disease resistant and easy keepers eating certain grasses that other cattle will not. And many more. for later.

In this thread Zebu is not the same as what your thinking R Buffalos.

And again you can't really be nomadic in the U.S. with cattle. The farthest we move cattle is usually under 5 miles down rarely traveled back roads to the working pens and chute. Even then they are usually trailered back where I work to make it faster.
If they were to stop for any length of time Police would be called to remove them.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
New we wait for the VA farm. Only bull calves, but maybe we'll decide on two tiny steers instead.
Glad your getting somewhere. I'm still looking for cows to match my bull, yet I keep getting phone calls asking if I have any to sell. I'm really wishing I didn't sell last fall. :thhuh What do ya do?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finally got to see some zebu!
Left at 10, got back at 6 and I'm so tired!

Saw some super tiny cows, some bigger cows, one bull up close and 4 baby bulls kept aside for us to pick from.

Have all of you heard what they sound like?? Ever play games with demons or dungeon monsters in them? Yeah, they should use them for sound effects for those games! It's hilarious and a bit creepy!

I ended up choosing the most expensive one...I've got rich taste, what can I say? Lol. We decided to pass on him after hearing his $. As a steer, it didn't make sense, plus, better he find a breeding home with how tiny and pretty black/white he'll be!

Husband chose his half brother, 50/50 chance he'll go grey or go a reddish brown, should be 32-33", based on 30" dad and 34" mom, and he's the friendliest little guy ever!! Once he realized I was a friend, he was pudding in my hands. I couldn't stop petting his sweet little face! He licked my boot laces, my leg, my hands and even tried to snuggle a little. Brave and willing to explore. Really hope husband agrees to officially get him!

The 3rd was a possibility, but for some reason, husband didn't really want him. I liked his look, he was friendly, also possibility of going grey.
The 4th was a no, would end up too tall. I also didn't like how his pizzle and umbilical chord area looked. May of been nothing, but not worth the chance.

We haven't officially decided, but we'll have to put in our choice of any or none on Tuesday. Not their deadline, husband accidentally made it himself, so I have to keep him to it. Men...

"Lickity", as I've been calling him, was zooming around, nibbling and licking everything and everyone that let him. Wanted to scoop him up and toss him into my van! Lol. He has about 4wks before we could take him home and continue bottle feeding until 4-6mo.

They're on the same milk replacer that I used this year and prefer over past brands, Sav-A-Lam. I need to figure out how many bags to buy and get a calf bottle & nipple. Sheep ones are too tiny, even for super tiny calves!

I'll let you guys guess who is who!
A 🍪 for each correct guess.

A)
Looks like a deer!!
20210606_183914.jpg

B)
Very beautiful white eye lashes.
20210606_183952.jpg

C)
Stout fella with matching personality you can see on his face
20210606_184833.jpg

D)
Somehow, this one looks the most "bovine" to me, lol.
20210606_184808.jpg

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Have all of you heard what they sound like?? Ever play games with demons or dungeon monsters in them? Yeah, they should use them for sound effects for those games! It's hilarious and a bit creepy!
:lol::lol::yuckyuck

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is just pictures of humped cattle. Such as the Brahman here and there. Mini Zebu's are an old breed and used thousands of years ago to make other larger humped breeds like some above. I know some use the definition of Zebu as humped cattle. This is more specific to the Mini Zebu
They have also been used to make many of the American miniature cattle in more recent years.

Many reasons to have them. 1 is that you can have 3 on the same amount of land as one large cow. 2 They look nice. I got into them for the nestalgic look to pull carts and not need a huge trailer or a second one when hauling horses to a race or other horse event. 3 like the larger Brahman they are disease resistant and easy keepers eating certain grasses that other cattle will not. And many more. for later.

In this thread Zebu is not the same as what your thinking R Buffalos.

And again you can't really be nomadic in the U.S. with cattle. The farthest we move cattle is usually under 5 miles down rarely traveled back roads to the working pens and chute. Even then they are usually trailered back where I work to make it faster.
If they were to stop for any length of time Police would be called to remove them.

Well I know that there are two subspecies of cattle Taurine (Bos Taurus Taurus) and Zebu (Bos Taurus Indicus) and the pics I posted are classed as Zebu. The hump is not the only distinctive feature. Their skin is also generally loose with more prominent dewlap and naval flap, they also have longer intestines that's why they have a barrel like stomach. It's not like all Zebu breeds were developed from miniature Zebu.

I have seen miniature Zebus as far as I know there are more than one breed of them. I have an aunt who keeps several miniature Zebus. They are usually kept in hilly regions. They were selected to thrive on hillsides. They are nimble and they climb on hills like goats. They are not reared intensively.

I have seen how they are kept by my aunt. She keeps the calves in an enclosure and the cows are left free to roam in the forest all by themselves. They come in the evening for a roti (Indian flatbread), the milking cows are milked, calf is allowed to drink 50% of the milk, they receive grain ration and then they all go back to forest for the rest of the night. In the morning the same process is repeated.

Though they are kept by both tribals and non tribals, never became popular outside of their native tracts. In the plains people always kept their larger relatives.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Finally got to see some zebu!
Left at 10, got back at 6 and I'm so tired!

Saw some super tiny cows, some bigger cows, one bull up close and 4 baby bulls kept aside for us to pick from.

I ended up choosing the most expensive one...I've got rich taste, what can I say? Lol. We decided to pass on him after hearing his $. As a steer, it didn't make sense, plus, better he find a breeding home with how tiny and pretty black/white he'll be!

Husband chose his half brother, 50/50 chance he'll go grey or go a reddish brown, should be 32-33", based on 30" dad and 34" mom, and he's the friendliest little guy ever!! Once he realized I was a friend, he was pudding in my hands. I couldn't stop petting his sweet little face! He licked my boot laces, my leg, my hands and even tried to snuggle a little. Brave and willing to explore. Really hope husband agrees to officially get him!

The 3rd was a possibility, but for some reason, husband didn't really want him. I liked his look, he was friendly, also possibility of going grey.
The 4th was a no, would end up too tall. I also didn't like how his pizzle and umbilical chord area looked. May of been nothing, but not worth the chance.

We haven't officially decided, but we'll have to put in our choice of any or none on Tuesday. Not their deadline, husband accidentally made it himself, so I have to keep him to it. Men...

"Lickity", as I've been calling him, was zooming around, nibbling and licking everything and everyone that let him. Wanted to scoop him up and toss him into my van! Lol. He has about 4wks before we could take him home and continue bottle feeding until 4-6mo.

They're on the same milk replacer that I used this year and prefer over past brands, Sav-A-Lam. I need to figure out how many bags to buy and get a calf bottle & nipple. Sheep ones are too tiny, even for super tiny calves!

I'll let you guys guess who is who!
A 🍪 for each correct guess.

A)
Looks like a deer!!
View attachment 85716

B)
Very beautiful white eye lashes.
View attachment 85717

C)
Stout fella with matching personality you can see on his face
View attachment 85719

D)
Somehow, this one looks the most "bovine" to me, lol.
View attachment 85720

Those are some lovely calves. Zebu calves are very cute. I never noticed that they have a squeaky voice. I agree that they are curious, they have larger brains. You can notice that they have a buldge on their forehead.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those are some lovely calves. Zebu calves are very cute. I never noticed that they have a squeaky voice. I agree that they are curious, they have larger brains. You can notice that they have a buldge on their forehead.

Not squeaky, its very baritone, deep, low voice.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow!!! It is believed that cemetery grass makes the milk sweet. They are also used for parties and in some cemeteries where martyrs or heros or saintly persons are buried hold fairs in their memory.

So you can't graze your cows on empty land with no crops standing if it belongs to someone else. That sounds very selfish!!! Most of the agricultural land here are empty now because wheat has been harvested in April and rice will not be sown until July so we can graze our livestock on the empty land regardless of its ownership. I guess they can legally stop us, but no one does this. Why would they?

The nomads travel hundreds of kilometres every year with their herds. Their herds are sometimes huge. Their cows devour grass like locust and they are agressive and street smart. Some herds have more animals than an entire village. Fights often break out between resident farmers and nomadic herders. The government never intervenes, they say "when Mauryans, Mughals and Brits failed to settle your fights what makes you think that we can?"

Here is a camp of Rabari herders

Here's a Rabari's herd, count the cows if you can. They have no land

Here I would say the general public thinks of animals as dirty, so hey would think it was disrespectful to those people buried there to have animals like cows or something grazing there. Also cemetery here are owned by private groups not the public or government. So you would have to get the owners permission to graze there.

No you can not graze any land someone else owns unless you get permission and most will say no or you can pay to use the land in the growing months. People here worry a lot about damage to the land and liabilty because they do not want to be sued.

That is a lot of cows!!! Many people here would love to have livestock without needing to own all the land for them but it is just not possible.

Latest posts