Zebu colors

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you notice that they make a sound with their mouths shut? Like a hum.

None of them made any sounds, at all, except for one cow that was separated from the rest. Even the calves were silent, it was weird. I'm used to chatty sheep & horses.
I'm sure eventually, I'll hear the other sounds they make once I have my calf home.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Currently in New Delhi, India, originally Bihar
None of them made any sounds, at all, except for one cow that was separated from the rest. Even the calves were silent, it was weird. I'm used to chatty sheep & horses.
I'm sure eventually, I'll hear the other sounds they make once I have my calf home.

I am also used to chatty Water Buffaloes. When I am working around them we always keep talking.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very cute cattle, I can see how they would work for small farms with not a lot of land.

There is very little government owned land in Texas. It is all mostly privately owned, fenced and No Trespassing signs posted, or purple paint painted on trees. The purple paint means keep off. Can’t let livestock run loose, cars go too fast down even the most remote country roads. If someone hits your animal, it’s your fault and you are liable for damages. Can’t hunt on someone else’s property either. You have to lease hunting land from the owner and shooting off the roads is illegal.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very cute cattle, I can see how they would work for small farms with not a lot of land.

There is very little government owned land in Texas. It is all mostly privately owned, fenced and No Trespassing signs posted, or purple paint painted on trees. The purple paint means keep off. Can’t let livestock run loose, cars go too fast down even the most remote country roads. If someone hits your animal, it’s your fault and you are liable for damages. Can’t hunt on someone else’s property either. You have to lease hunting land from the owner and shooting off the roads is illegal.
Sounds like VA.
We're a fence in/on leash state, so owners are legally responsible to put up fences to keep their animals in. Your animal gets out and causes a wreck? Owner pays for it.
I know some states are fence out states and that's scary! Other people's animals become my responsibility? No. Definitely will never live in one of those states.
I don't think there's any Gov't grazing land here. Never heard of any being available.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Michigan is technically a range state so we have the fence out law however we have this act as well which makes it null and void basically.
https://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(u...55))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-Act-66-of-1959.pdf
This is specifically for government land however for private held land they just say your animal is a nuisance and fine you/ take the animals. So not really a range state, we do have leash laws as well.

Personally we carry a million dollar umbrella policy that covers everything, vehicles, land, buildings, animals etc...in case we get sued for anything. That policy is on top of our normal vehicle and home policys so we are ultimately covered for 1.25-1.5 million for liability for either one. The policy is $11 a month and worth it for the peace of mind it offers.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like VA.
We're a fence in/on leash state, so owners are legally responsible to put up fences to keep their animals in. Your animal gets out and causes a wreck? Owner pays for it.
I know some states are fence out states and that's scary! Other people's animals become my responsibility? No. Definitely will never live in one of those states.
I don't think there's any Gov't grazing land here. Never heard of any being available.
Even in fence out states, here anyhow the owner is still responsible for the animal if someone gets in injured or they cause damage over a certain dollar amount. So no fence out doesn't mean you are liable for someone elses animals.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even in fence out states, here anyhow the owner is still responsible for the animal if someone gets in injured or they cause damage over a certain dollar amount. So no fence out doesn't mean you are liable for someone elses animals.

I meant that land owner needs to build fences to keep other people's animals out, even if they have none and no other need for the fence.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I meant that land owner needs to build fences to keep other people's animals out, even if they have none and no other need for the fence.
In theory thats how it should work. In modern day reality....nope. They will take your animals away if you dont keep them fenced in or if they get on any road. We have seen sheriffs called out to shoot animals on the spot for being loose or in the road if the owner can not get them secured fast enough or if the owner can not be reached. Our local sheriffs are pretty understanding and if it is a smaller animal they will try to get it back on your property for you and keep it there until you come to secure it...within reason. If it is something like a bull......dead. To this end most people do a boundary fence around their land incase anything gets loose.

Even here we have had the sheriff here several times now. For our animals being in our yard/on our property but seen from the road. Never got in trouble because they are on our land still but they have asked us nicely to please keep them behind a fence so people dont keep calling them. Honestly at this point..we get calls from the station wanting to know if we are aware such and such animal is in the front yard lol. Thankfully that is now reduced to just poultry atm and soon to be nothing when we get two more fences done.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
In theory thats how it should work. In modern day reality....nope. They will take your animals away if you dont keep them fenced in or if they get on any road. We have seen sheriffs called out to shoot animals on the spot for being loose or in the road if the owner can not get them secured fast enough or if the owner can not be reached. Our local sheriffs are pretty understanding and if it is a smaller animal they will try to get it back on your property for you and keep it there until you come to secure it...within reason. If it is something like a bull......dead. To this end most people do a boundary fence around their land incase anything gets loose.

Even here we have had the sheriff here several times now. For our animals being in our yard/on our property but seen from the road. Never got in trouble because they are on our land still but they have asked us nicely to please keep them behind a fence so people dont keep calling them. Honestly at this point..we get calls from the station wanting to know if we are aware such and such animal is in the front yard lol. Thankfully that is now reduced to just poultry atm and soon to be nothing when we get two more fences done.
Lol, that's kinda funny.

I have 4ft field fencing inside the property line, then various cross fencing. Others use a single or double hot wire by the road and I'm always in awe that they're able to get away with so little! Definitely cheap to be able to use hot wire vs any other fencing. I would never trust it, though, got too many pain in the butt animals screwing around, making me second guess all my life choices. 😅