Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wear shorts pretty when I'm outside almost but not quite year-round. Most of the time, I would put on trousers when I am running the weed eater but often wouldn't go to the trouble so my shins take a beating. I ordered some chaps (called Brush Gaiters) that you can use with shorts awhile back and I have mentally kicked myself several times now for not getting those things years ago.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wear shorts pretty when I'm outside almost but not quite year-round. Most of the time, I would put on trousers when I am running the weed eater but often wouldn't go to the trouble so my shins take a beating. I ordered some chaps (called Brush Gaiters) that you can use with shorts awhile back and I have mentally kicked myself several times now for not getting those things years ago.
I've got snake gaiters that I wear - though definitely in case of noisy slitheries - but they sure do a great job of keeping the foxtails and other nasty weed seeds out of my jeans.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never wear shorts on the farm, it’s blue jeans and boots. There is too many things that are unfriendly to bare skin and exposed ankles. Walk out in a field in tennis shoes and get 10,000 chiggers/redbugs up my legs. No thank you!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm a long pants person on the farm too... and wear sneakers/tennis shoes alot due to ankle making it difficult to get on any boots much higher than ankle height unless they have a zipper to accommodate the foot not straightening out enough to slide into them... but wear ankle/low calf, height boots in winter and muddy conditions...
Taking a garlic supplement will help to make skin less attractive to "skeeters" and stuff... but I also worry about snakes on occasion... we do see copperheads and an occasional rattle snake here, though rare....plus working around equipment, and cattle... makes more utilitarian footwear necessary.

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jeans and knee high boots (or above ankle steel toed from Walmart) here - and snake gaiters as needed. Not so much bugs, but nasty ouchie weeds and of course slitheries.
You need snake gaiters in S CA? We had lots of diamond backs and mojave greens (some) and a few timber rattlers in Tehachapi…lots of rattlers here as well… trying to imagine where you are walking wearing those 😳. I would buy a couple long sets to put in my horse and my feet would never hit the ground!!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need snake gaiters in S CA?
Oh yeah - most definitely. I think our "permanent snake relocation" program has 8 or so already this year. All have been the southern pacific rattlesnake. Though we did have one mojave green at the old place about 35yrs ago - 42inches of it too.