Alpacas with no pasture or grass

hess

Herd lurker
Reaction score
If this title alarms you - let me know! It is a very real situation I’m handling at work which is worrying me significantly. We have four alpacas at work in a small pen without access to grass. It is extremely muddy and they stay still most hours of the day on the only slightly drier patch. They do have a barn to go to but since they are an attraction at the theme park, they have to be out for hours at a time. I’ve noticed the managers trying to feed them carrots but they aren’t eating them. They instead tried to eat the tree when they were gone, but there’s no more low leaves.

Work are using a pump to try and get some of the groundwater out. There’s a very small patch of grass that the alpacas were on but they had to move the sheep there because the mud is so deep the sheep got hoof rot.

I know that work have good intentions but these are very muddy very unhappy and now I suspect not eating alpacas.

It’s only my third day so I’m trying to find out more, but it’s an unspoken topic of guilt among the workers here that the alpacas are unhappy.

Is it possible to continue to keep them on mud and no grass? What should they be eating?

I will update as I find more out, possibly with photos.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not a 'paca person, but do they have hay? I think they are ruminants, right? and no hay=rumen disaster.