2 month old pygmy died last night

julierx1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Im just trying to wrap my head around all this. I had a 2 month old who has beeb bottle fed from the get go. About a week ago
i got him weaned off bottle. He has been acting great. Eating hay and drinking warm water w/ the others. Went out last night and he was loving on me as usual. I brought some hay inside the barn so my little ones didnt have to go out in the wind and snow to eat thru the night. I watched him drink some warm water also. Nothing wrong. Well here it got in the lower teens last night, when I went out this A.M I found him laying in the barn dead. Out of the blue this happened. I cant figure it out!!! I know he was healthy and energetic and have seen no change in him. Was it because he didnt have that warm milk keeping him warm? He didnt have a cuddle buddy like the others but he has manage the other cold days! Could he have not been drinking enough and was dehydrated? So many questions I know. My heart is breaking today. I have put so much time and effort into him to pull him thru and thought I had done so. Has anyone had this happen to them or am I just cursed or something?

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
julierx1 said:
What is this necropsy? I have never heard of that
It's an animal autopsy. Highly recommended when you don't know why an animal died.

Sorry for your loss.

Donna

marlowmanor

Reaction score
julierx1 said:
What is this necropsy? I have never heard of that
Necropsy is an autopsy for animals.

Here is a definition and explanation I found when I googled it.
A necropsy is a postmortem examination. You may also hear a necropsy called an autopsy, postmortem, or obduction. Some people like to use the term necropsy specifically for examinations which are performed on non-humans, reserving autopsy for humans specifically. Whether performed on humans or animals, necropsies can provide important information about the cause of death, and this information can be used in a wide variety of ways.

Necropsies on animals are routinely performed when a new disease breaks out, to determine which animals carry the disease, and what the effects of the disease on animals might be. In areas where zoonotic diseases are endemic, a necropsy may be ordered on any suspicious animal death, to determine what the animal died of and to see if the death should be a cause for concern. Scientific researchers also necropsy the subjects of their research to learn more about how their research is going.

During a necropsy, the person who performs the examination first inspects the exterior of the body, making notes for the record. These notes will include any signs of trauma to the body, along with general observations about the physical health. Evidence such as blood draws and samples of substances found on the body may also be collected at this time. Once this examination has been performed, the body is opened up, allowing the internal organs to be inspected.Depending on the nature of the necropsy, samples may be collected from one or more of the internal organs for further study. For example, if a dog is necropsied after it has been put down due to suspected rabies, a sample of the brain tissue will be taken to test for rabies.

When the cause of death is mysterious, a necropsy aims to clear up the issue. When the cause of death is known or obvious, the necropsy may be used to collect evidence about how the body came to die, if the death is suspicious, or to learn more about the course of the disease which eventually claimed the life of the person or animal being examined. In the case of scientific research, where test subjects are routinely euthanized after testing, the necropsy provides information about whether or not a drug or treatment worked, or about the progression of the disease or other issue under experiment.

Some people have advocated for routine necropsies, arguing that they can always provide more information about a death. Institutions like zoos always necropsy the animals that die under their care, for example, to learn why the animal died and to prevent such deaths in the future.
Your vet may be able to do a necropsy or be able to tell you where to send the animal to have the necropsy done. The necropsy could give you a cause of death on your dead kid and let you know if it was because of something contagious that could affect your other animals as well. If you have a local vet school I think they do necropsies too sometimes. I'd ask your vet where you can have one done. Time is of the essence though as far as getting the necropsy done.

cindyg

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, this is heartbreaking. I hope you find out what happened. So sorry for your loss.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is that a little young for weaning?? My schedule says to bottle feed for the first 3 months.
Sorry :hugs I hope you find out what happened.