How To Put Her Down?

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have asked for all kinds of her for my mini-nubian Strawberry but after finding a second CL absess on her in the 3 months that I've had her and the sores on her hind end that won't heal I've decided it is probably best just to put her down. I don't want to give her someone else and perpetuate the spread of CL and I don't want to risk her infecting the rest of my herd. Does anyone have any experience they could share with me? It breaks my heart because I've tried so hard to nurse her back to health and am so furious that someone would allow her to become so ill in the first place! I want to insert a crying face and a angry face but can't seem to find the smiley icons :(

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Stand above her and shoot with a 22. Point the gun towards her lower jaw.
She will not feel a thing.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
After reading this I thought I had better clarify.
You point the gun barrel at the back of the head. Angled toward lower jaw. This should give you a good clean kill shot.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I agree with alsea...but if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you could ask someone to do it for you or have your vet euthanize her.

You'll likely want to be cautious with how you dispose of the body since she has CL. I've never dealt with CL, but I don't think that you would want to bury the body. Hopefully someone with CL experience will comment.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As bad as it sounds burning the carcass may be good.
Consider it a cremation.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may check out your state lab. Ours will do a full necropsy and disposal for around $65 for a goat of her size. I agree that cremation would be best. I am very sorry. I know you have given all you could for her. :hugs

No do not take her to the butcher. The goat would be condemned anyway because of the CL. Your local vet should be able to euthanize her too.
Alsea is right, you can do it, but sometimes vet assisted euthanasia is best.

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
From everything I've read the meat is safe. Unless it's internal CL is only on the hide. It may sound bad but I would feel better if she didn't go to waste.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
What other treatments have you given her? De wormer? Antibiotics? There are withdrawal times- some are days some are weeks.
Sick goats should not be eaten.
CL can be internal even with external lumps.

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What about just taking her to the butcher?
Go ahead and take her to the butcher. They will just cut a CL abscess off and dispose of it even if it's internal. Just make sure you haven't used any meds on her recently. I know plenty of people that butcher CL positive does.

Donna

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Forgot to add. Around here you can take a live goat to the butcher and they will do the kill.

Latest posts