2nd Dose LA200 Complications?

Starwag

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Has anyone had any adverse reactions to giving a second dose of LA200 for mastitis? I have a ewe who is improving on the first dose but I was planning on retreating at the 48 hour mark tonight, as she still has a bit of fluid left.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Has anyone had any adverse reactions to giving a second dose of LA200 for mastitis? I have a ewe who is improving on the first dose but I was planning on retreating at the 48 hour mark tonight, as she still has a bit of fluid left.
I've given it to mine multiple times in a row (not for mastitis) and they were fine

Starwag

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've given it to mine multiple times in a row (not for mastitis) and they were fine
What do you mean by multiple times in a row? Were these at 24 hr intervals? And for how many days have you given it? Mine did fine with the 2nd dose, but I think I am probably going to have to give this to her a few more times.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly LA 200 is not my drug of choice for mastitis unless the cultures specifically say it is susceptible to that drug. I am assuming you are doing shots? I think that treating in the quarter with a tube of mastitis medicine would be preferable... but, what kind of mastitis? Watery, thick, goopy, stringy? I use it at 48-72 hr intervals... and after a 3rd treatment I would switch drugs if it is not clearing up. It may be a chronic form and will continue to cause problems...
Are you milking her or are there lambs on her? need a little more information honestly....

We mostly use LA200/LA300 for foot rot and pinkeye problems..... and occasionally some respiratory things.

Starwag

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Honestly LA 200 is not my drug of choice for mastitis unless the cultures specifically say it is susceptible to that drug. I am assuming you are doing shots? I think that treating in the quarter with a tube of mastitis medicine would be preferable... but, what kind of mastitis? Watery, thick, goopy, stringy? I use it at 48-72 hr intervals... and after a 3rd treatment I would switch drugs if it is not clearing up. It may be a chronic form and will continue to cause problems...
Are you milking her or are there lambs on her? need a little more information honestly....

We mostly use LA200/LA300 for foot rot and pinkeye problems..... and occasionally some respiratory things.
This was not mastitis from milk but mastitis from a referred staph infection that settled into one side of the udder. She has never been bred, but was injured earlier in the spring. Intramammary drugs just made it worse, honestly, as it was a systemic infection that settled in the udder. This is her last line, as other drugs were prescribed for her blindly by our old vet, who was planning on retiring but didn't let us know this until after two courses of the wrong treatment. A specific culture was eventually taken, revealing staph specifically.

Also, an update:

She did fine on dose 1 and 2, and is on her third dose tonight. She is drying up but is not dry yet. Chronic infection, or rather, antibiotic resistant staph is what I am most worried about now, but her volume of fluid seems to be reducing. I am milking the infection twice a day, along with the LA200. She was down to 1.5 tsp of fluid this evening, down from 1/2 cup the other day, and over a cup of fluid from 1 week plus ago. I am really hoping I don't have to do a fourth dose.

Has anyone ever given beyond 4 doses of LA200?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Than k you for the additional info. Sounds like you are "on it" with the culture etc. I don't think there is any way to tell if she is going to have an antibiotic resistant staph infection in her system. And since she has never been bred and is not going to be a milking animal, I think what you are doing is fine. There also is no way to be sure that it will not be a chronic infection, but it sounds like you are doing all that you can. I thought it was a milk related mastitis infection. We have done multiple courses of LA doses on calves with no problems.... I am assuming she is not going to be sold so the antibiotic withdrawal time would not apply like in animals that are going to be sold. The biggest problem I see is that she may develop gangarene mastitis from an infection and there is nothing to do but treat that and the "quarter" or half of the udder infected will slough off... it is gross but will not kill them if kept on antibiotics... but with the udder drying up now I don't think that is something to worry about at this time. It sounds like she is clearing up with such little fluid now.
I hope she does okay, and a 4th dose would not be anymore harmful than the 3rd... it would indicate that the infection should be fully cured with no production at all... and it sounds like you will be at that point with the little amount of fluid she is producing.