9 month old wether walking around on knees

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
My first thought would be foot rot, foot scald, or like Nsmithurmond said, founder. Check him out ASAP, because he's probably in pain, which is why he's knee walking.
I had my edit window open too long.. Had I seen this, I wouldn't have even posted.. :lol:

x2 :thumbsup

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
This is the advice my vet gave me about foot injury and pain. Before you treat, soak his hooves, all four, in hot salt water with betadine for a good 20 minutes. (As hot as you can stand to put your elbow in without pain.) That will clean and disinfect the hoof and ankle and reduce any swelling. Then dry thoroughly and put any treatment on the hoof. Regardless of the cause of his pain, clean disinfected feet will always be worth the effort.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Didn't read the rest of the posts, but the first thing I thought of when I read the title is his hooves must hurt if he's trying to get the weight off of them. See if they need to be trimmed. See if he has a rock, thorn, nail, or something in his hoof wall, pad, or inbetween his toes.

That's my only guess.

oxdrover14

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I trimmed them (they didn't reall need it) and everything Between them looks fine I put some hoof rot stuff on and in between. We will see

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Has his diet changed recently? Getting more grain than normal?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
She said, in a previous post, he only gets hay and minerals. I find this very interesting. and have been reading along, Seems like if his feet hurt or felt hot, it would be obvious from just a cleaning and inspection.

I had talked to a women a few years ago, that said she had a doe that would do this, She said it was really annoying, and she couldn't figure out why. I didn't know the women, but I just remember the story.

What about UC or the start of it?

His way of dealing with the discomfort of it. Just a guess. They can get UC, even if they aren't on grain.

Normally, with UC, you would see some build up and irritation at the end of the boy parts, and on the hair, from the slow leaking of urine, like a faucet dripping and building up minerals.

Personally, If he was mine, I would run a round of antibiotics through him, make sure your worming is working by doing a fecal. Just do all the basics. and see what happens, since you feel his hooves are in good shape.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I still recommend a fecal. Worm load anemia can cause severe weakness and the knee walking could be the presentation of that. I know that it's unusual but it's what presented with my Speedy. And he went downhill VERY fast...from no symptoms to walking on his knees. We checked him over and ran a fecal...only positive findings were an overload of barberpole (his feet were perfectly fine). We treated aggressively but it wasn't enough at that point.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
aggieterpkatie said:
She said, in a previous post, he only gets hay and minerals. I find this very interesting. and have been reading along, Seems like if his feet hurt or felt hot, it would be obvious from just a cleaning and inspection.
Ack, sorry. I wasn't paying attention!

oxdrover14

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well tonight he seems to be doing better after some hoof ointment this am and pm I can get him to stand for a 30 second to a minuet well see what hee looks like tomorrow. Well good night :)

oxdrover14

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well tonight he got up when I walked past his pen :weee he's still wobbly but still improving with hoof treatment.