9 week old goat

fluckinfarms

Just born
Reaction score
We got a young kid 3 days ago. She is a Nigerian dwarf. She was standing aback from the herd and the owner said she’s always been like that. I ended up taking her home anyway, we took her to the vet yesterday as I could tell she wasn’t feeling well but she was still eating and drinking. She looked a little bloated and kept grinding her teeth. The vet could tell she was not feeling well either, he gave her an antibiotic shot, administered an oral dewormer and gave her pro pectalin, he sent us home with the rest of the tube. This morning she was walking around eating, less bloated, but for the last few hours she has just been laying in the same spot. She hasn’t eaten or drank much since 11 am. Any ideas what could be wrong with her? Vet wasn’t able to do fecal sample since she did not poop while there. Her stool was soft but not liquid yesterday. I have not noticed any today but I have not been watching her the entire day. Feeding goat feed and alfalfa.

Attachments

• IMG_3317.jpeg
    IMG_3317.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 13

fluckinfarms

Just born
Reaction score
We got a young kid 3 days ago. She is a Nigerian dwarf. She was standing aback from the herd and the owner said she’s always been like that. I ended up taking her home anyway, we took her to the vet yesterday as I could tell she wasn’t feeling well but she was still eating and drinking. She looked a little bloated and kept grinding her teeth. The vet could tell she was not feeling well either, he gave her an antibiotic shot, administered an oral dewormer and gave her pro pectalin, he sent us home with the rest of the tube. This morning she was walking around eating, less bloated, but for the last few hours she has just been laying in the same spot. She hasn’t eaten or drank much since 11 am. Any ideas what could be wrong with her? Vet wasn’t able to do fecal sample since she did not poop while there. Her stool was soft but not liquid yesterday. I have not noticed any today but I have not been watching her the entire day. Feeding goat feed and alfalfa.
Forgot to mention vet said to call back Tuesday and report how she is doing. Possibly wants her to come back, but will she be okay until then!? 😩

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd have called today. However, sometimes a heavy load of worms dieing off can form a toxin in their gut. That can be a day or so downer or ?? Your choice now seems to be call Monday morning. Let us know how she's doing in the morning. Is she passing stool & urine?

fluckinfarms

Just born
Reaction score
I'd have called today. However, sometimes a heavy load of worms dieing off can form a toxin in their gut. That can be a day or so downer or ?? Your choice now seems to be call Monday morning. Let us know how she's doing in the morning. Is she passing stool & urine?
Last night after I posted she ate a bit more feed and passed stool. It was ALMOST normal. There were pellets that formed, they were just a tad bigger and lighter in color than normal. She is still acting not great. She is chomping on grass right now, but still looks like she is hurting. Constant teeth grinding and tail down. Still no energy, stays pretty much in the same spot, no longer running in fear from us like she was two days ago. Don’t know if that’s lack of energy or just used to us now.

fluckinfarms

Just born
Reaction score
Update: she is not doing good. Neck curled back and if she tries to walk she just tips over. It’s so sad. Called the vet he said to give her milk 1 oz every hour. Went and picked up nutri-drench, and some b-complex along with the milk. After the nutri drench she walked a bit around and drank some more milk before curling head back in a ball. Later we gave the b complex with thiamine (because at this point I’m thinking thiamine deficiency) gave her enough energy to drink some more milk and walk to the hay to eat a few bites before coming back to me leaning into me and curling back up. I’m so worried she won’t make it through the night. Poop is pretty normal. She did pee and poop a bit ago. Temperature is normal. Is this a vitamin deficiency… is she going to pass? 😩😔

Attachments

• IMG_3518.jpeg
    IMG_3518.jpeg
    551.5 KB · Views: 10

fluckinfarms

Just born
Reaction score
Update in case anyone is following or this happens to them: This morning she is doing better. Went out about 4:30 am to check on her, she was standing looking around NOT curled up. Fed an oz of milk and a squirt of nutri drench. She drank a little water on her own and was sniffing at the hay. No curling or spasms the 30 minutes I was out there with her. Really hoping we’re on the right track to getting her better.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad she's doing better. Keep at it.

Sometimes they just give up and we never know why/what the issues were. Sad but true. My vet told me, years ago, it's the "ssss" sick sheep seldom survive ... Same with goats. 😕 Heartbreaking but, they go down fast.