Armyworm invading in mass - hay and crops destroyed

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Not only drought conditions but now we have Armyworm invasions all over Southern Ontario. Armyworm larvae of the same named moth is like a wingless locust eating grass, barley, corn, wheat, and oats but doesn't like soya beans and clover.
So far no invasion at our place but expecting it any moment as it has struck numerous local farms with devistating results. Second cut hay fields gone, wheat and corn fields gone.
Its like looking at a giant moving carpet and the creepiest one was my neighbour baled his hay thinking he got it just in time, in the morning the trailers were crawling as the larvae came out of the bales which were reduced to just grass stems wrapped in string.
A very mild winter was nice but now we are paying the price.
Anyone else suffering

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
uh...army worms...when I lived in Kenora, Ontario we had them every 7 years...they are something else...they had to close the number one highway one year as cars were slipping and sliding and causing accidents hitting them during their crossing over the road. Walking under the trees one day I thought it was starting to rain large drops...it was not raining...it was those blasted army worms falling from the trees onto me...really gross!

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay this is RANDOM, but I'm random

Funny that every 7 years you would have armyworms, here in alaska every 7 years we have a spike in the rabbit population (which is good for us since we hunt ^^)

Sorry, i felt for a random moment :p

kfacres

Reaction score
we had the army worm deal when I was a kid--- I found an old 6' roller out in the junk pile-- and just had a hayday smashing them... Doubt it did any good, but I sure enjoyed my 10 year old self cruising around on the farmall Cub smashing them...

Royd Wood

Reaction score
bonbean01 said:
uh...army worms...when I lived in Kenora, Ontario we had them every 7 years...they are something else...they had to close the number one highway one year as cars were slipping and sliding and causing accidents hitting them during their crossing over the road. Walking under the trees one day I thought it was starting to rain large drops...it was not raining...it was those blasted army worms falling from the trees onto me...really gross!
ok now I'm wondering if they turned their noses up at our fields, still none here

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
This is scary. I don't think people realize how bad it is to have a mild winter. I can only imagine how much food prices are going to go up.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, Royd!! I'm so sorry to hear that! :( How awful! I'm crossing my fingers they take a detour around your place!!!

Mike Fronczak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They are all over here, I had been wondering why the farm around us (4500 acre) was spraying their wheat & corn, then it was on tge news a couple days later. In the 7-8 years we have lived there, I had never seen them spray their crops like this.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That sounds so yuckky! I guess army worm eating poultry would be in high demand? Maybe a chicken moat around the fenceline? Wow, how do you get rid of the worms?

Latest posts