Best age of sheep to make a sheepskin rug?

goats&sheep19

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a question. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask, so sorry if it isn't but anyway....what is the best age to cull lambs/sheep to make a sheepskin rug?
As some of you may know, I have three coloured merino ewes, and I'm hoping they are in lamb to my merino ram, Gizmo. The plan is to keep any ewe lambs, and use the males for meat; but I would also love to try my hand at making rugs. We had an old one, and it was one of my favorite places to sit when I was a kid...
So what age is a good age for making rugs? Would like 8 months work? I wouldn't want to wait to long and compromise the meat.
Are they normally made from lambs or sheep??
Thanks very much!

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know zero about this.. but I would guess that it depends on how big you want the rug to be??? What would change in the skin/wool from age to age? Would you need to sheer them first and then keep them clean for the wool to reach a certain stage or would you have to essentially treat both sides - tanning the leather and combing, cleaning the wool????
Facinating idea. I can't wait to heat what folks who have some knowledge about this have to say.

goats&sheep19

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know zero about this.. but I would guess that it depends on how big you want the rug to be??? What would change in the skin/wool from age to age? Would you need to sheer them first and then keep them clean for the wool to reach a certain stage or would you have to essentially treat both sides - tanning the leather and combing, cleaning the wool????
Facinating idea. I can't wait to heat what folks who have some knowledge about this have to say.
Yeah, I really don't know. I'm not to fussed about how big it is, as long as one can sit on it. (and I'm sure the dogs and cats would also like to sit on it!)
I found this video
which helps, and it seems pretty straight forward and easy. They comb and brush out the fiber on the wool side. I think at around 8 months it should be around the right length, but maybe a bit young for meat. Or one could shear them a bit on the early side, like at 10 months, and then let it grow back for a few months. Is wether meat still good at around 14 to 16 months??

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@purplequeenvt is probably one of the more knowledgeable ones, since she shears wool and makes some of the most beautiful creations from her spun wool... but one thing I think would determine it to a degree is when they are born as to the growth of the staple in the wool...???
Seems to me a long time ago when we had the horned dorsets, the lambs born middle of the year (ours bred over a wider time frame than some breeds) and carried the wool over until the next spring had a denser coat... but again... it might have just been my imagination ???
The longer it grows the longer it will be, BUT.... will it be that much harder to get cleaned and brushed/combed out???

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t know a lot about merino wool growth. I have Shetlands (primitive breed) and Border Leicesters (long wool breed).

With the Border Leicesters, we get the best pelts if they were sheared 3-6 months prior to slaughter.

It sounds like you are wanting to attempt the tanning process yourself. That’s brave! I never tried sheep, but I’ve played around with squirrels and other smaller creatures. The hide itself shouldn’t be too tricky, but getting the wool clean and grease-free without ruining it seems rather daunting.

goats&sheep19

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don’t know a lot about merino wool growth. I have Shetlands (primitive breed) and Border Leicesters (long wool breed).

With the Border Leicesters, we get the best pelts if they were sheared 3-6 months prior to slaughter.
Thanks!
If they are about 8 to 9 months and have never been shorn, do you think they would be ok? I suspect merinos are on the slower side of wool growth, but haven't had them long enough to really know. I do know that they really need a full 12 months to get a good fleece off them.
It sounds like you are wanting to attempt the tanning process yourself. That’s brave! I never tried sheep, but I’ve played around with squirrels and other smaller creatures. The hide itself shouldn’t be too tricky, but getting the wool clean and grease-free without ruining it seems rather daunting.
I always like a good challenge and (if I ever get that far, my plans for meat animals haven't gone very well so far!) I think I should be able to work it out.
Even if I ruin the first one, it won't be wasted so to speak.
I think in that video they used a carding brush or whatever you call it, to untangle and fluff it up at the end. I suspect I am going to have a harder time with that then they did with their Jacob sheep.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe you could wash and clean the live sheep? Show sheep are washed. Get the lamb used to being combed or brushed.
And you are right, even if it doesn’t turn out the way you want it to, you will benefit from what you learned. Take pictures step by step and post what you do! The we all learn right along with you.

Latest posts