Boer Kid Not Herself - Fast Heart Rate

smoknz28

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So sorry you lost your baby, it is hard. I just treated one for pneumonia too, it is actually fairly common in kids.

It seems that we never have the drugs on hand when we need them. I have gotten better with that over time but if you are going to own goats you need to always take the temp as soon as you see them "off" in any way. Goats have a very high metabolism and can go down fast.

You said you gave .07ML , I hope you meant .7 ML as in almost 1. The dosage is 3ml (cc) per 100 lbs. and I would rather overdose than under dose a sick kid. Another drug to ask you vet for is Banamine. It is an anti-inflammatory and will bring down the fever and if pneumonia can help them breathe a little easier. But sometimes no matter what we do it isn't meant to be.

Just remember with goats to treat aggressively and watch them and observer their daily routine. Know your goats, their odd behavior is usually your first indicator that something is wrong.

And as far as vaccines...the first ones are given at 3-4 weeks and then again a month later. It is called CDT and you can get it at Tractor Supply. It would not have helped with pneumonia.

Yes, I'm sorry....I meant .7 ML and thank you for your words. We are still sad...she was so much fun to watch as our Pygmy Goats are more on the laid back side...to watch her with the joy she had was fun for all of us. We've given her a good burial.

Thank you again on the recommendations as well.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I'm sorry that you lost her :hugs

I believe that the one question that you had that remains unanswered is in regards to needle size. You can go with a 20 gauge needle for most medications. Usually the only one that I use 18 gauge for is Pen.

smoknz28

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm sorry that you lost her :hugs

I believe that the one question that you had that remains unanswered is in regards to needle size. You can go with a 20 gauge needle for most medications. Usually the only one that I use 18 gauge for is Pen.

Thank you...

Earlier the day she passed...I had purchased 22 gauge 3/4" needles....but before I could use them...it was too late.