Checking-In On Herds - Post Here To Say Hello!

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
We have such a wonderful community here at BYH, but we know life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our herd-loving-friends we haven't seen in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to! :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

emmapal

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We sold our farm and retired early on our rental income. Traveling full time in an RV, watching our favorite herders on YouTube, planning our next destination and next homestead, and raising investor capital for real estate.

Currently in Texas and headed to Salt Lake this summer. Not sure where we want to settle yet!

TexasLisa

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for reaching out Nifty! I am afraid I don't have a 'herd'. I have a flock--14 hens and two roosters. They are different breeds: Easter Eggers, Speckled Sussex, Australorps, and Cream Legbar. I have a youngster (she'll be a year old in June) setting on 5 eggs.

#1: Captain (he rules the roost)
#2: Copper (the son)
#3: Scout, Pip, and the cat, Chloe waiting for me to open the door
Captain 4-2024.jpg
Copper 4-2024.jpg
LET ME IN 4-2024.jpg

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi all! Yes, it's been a long while since I've been here - just because of life. Still living on the ranch and loving it. We've got cows, goats, chickens, cats and dogs. We continue to learn from our animals every year. Just when we think we've got them pretty much figured out - they throw us for a loop with some new behavior. It's a never-ending learning lesson and we love that.

We are in the middle of kidding season with the goats right now. We've had four does give birth to healthy kids (including a set of quintuplets). We have four more does to give birth, so I'm only functioning on a few brain cells right now. Can't wait to sleep through the night again without getting up throughout the night to check on them. My hubby is amazing - he takes every other hour so we both get about two hours of sleep at a time... ha, ha.

The cows are due to calve in June.
Here are a few pictures just for fun:

Attachments

• IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 9
  • Tundra5-31-23.JPG
    Tundra5-31-23.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Wadi, Sahara, Taiga3-22-24.jpg
    Wadi, Sahara, Taiga3-22-24.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Wadi & Kona.JPG
    Wadi & Kona.JPG
    601.8 KB · Views: 11

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The land I was grazing was sold so I sold my flock of sheep and, one year ago next month, I moved to a new, smaller town. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that quite a few families at my new Church raise Gulf Coast Sheep (my favorite breed)

Since I don’t currently have the land to raise sheep myself, my homesteading focuses for this year are gardening, establishing an ecosystem in a new pond to manage surface runoff and hopefully grow fish, and building a fibershed with local shepherds in my community.

I’m also keeping a little flock of chickens for eggs.

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Like others, I guess I’ve been too quiet. Not an accusation I hear much. 😉

After having no luck finding a buck for stud from a clean herd, I will be purchasing a buck and wether from a tested, closed herd this summer. In the meantime, I’m getting a pen and shed ready for the new boys.

Since my attempts at hatching eggs have not gone well the last two years, I am getting some chicks in another week to start replacing some of my older hens. So, this summer, I will be learning how to butcher my own birds.

Other than that, and some early gardening, things are rolling along normally on my little patch.

hayley3

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have such a wonderful community here at BYH, but we know life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our herd-loving-friends we haven't seen in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to! :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
I'm moving again. Still have my chickens but no goats. I surely miss having them but I'm too old to get them now. I still have a 18 yr old goose that I'm trying to outlive! haha

Latest posts