Checking-In On Herds - Post Here To Say Hello!

autismnotevery1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have such a wonderful community here at BYH, but we know life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our herd-loving-friends we haven't seen in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to! :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
We are doing great Spring is our favorite time of the year so much work but seeing all the babies makes it worth it. The life skills my little boy learns is a big plus. Since he is autistic learning these important things on our small hobby farm are important life lessons and the memories is just priceless!

Attachments

• IMG_2410.jpeg
    IMG_2410.jpeg
    621.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1982.jpeg
    IMG_1982.jpeg
    647.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1412.jpeg
    IMG_1412.jpeg
    706.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Photoroom_20240324_193717.jpeg
    Photoroom_20240324_193717.jpeg
    737.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8486.jpeg
    IMG_8486.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8482.jpeg
    IMG_8482.jpeg
    528.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8481.jpeg
    IMG_8481.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 10

Lamb Lover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello all, to be honest I'd completely forgotten I had an account! 🙈

I've been working non stop, eyeballing property and working on writing a business plan so I can apply for a USDA loan. I'm hoping to have enough for a down payment by the end of this year and in the meantime I'm trying to find a good bank. I'm still a ways off on having sheep of my own but I already have a big group of people wanting to buy lamb as well as some wanting fiber.

I've also been working on starting an agricultural education program for K-12. I've been working with second graders for three years now and am in the process of writing high school curriculum that will incorporate agriculture, especially sheep into what students are already learning. The second graders have loved every minute of it and I'm always so impressed with their questions and enthusiasm.

I've also been learning how to use hand carders, needle felt and soon I'm hoping to learn to start spinning.

Definitely will try and be more active now, this might be a great place to ask questions and get feedback on my program! And if anybody knows about USDA loans I'd love to hear from you. Any and all advice is welcome. Glad to be back.

trcarlton

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have such a wonderful community here at BYH, but we know life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our herd-loving-friends we haven't seen in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
We keep a colony of rabbits - that's still a herd, right? We tried our hand at chickens, ducks, geese, pigs, goats, and a llama. Gradually, we pared it down to just the rabbits, in a large outdoor colony with pond and burrowing mounds. We work full time, with teenagers in school, so farm time is limited, but we did a large patch of chaos planting with old seeds - and they're starting to sprout! It's fun and exciting.

Attachments

• 20240423_193348.jpg
    20240423_193348.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 10

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Still around! This is crunch time of the year for us (all the mowing!) and I was knocked out of commission with an emergency surgery not quite 2 weeks ago. Still recovering. Was not around to mow or manage the critters and sheep got absolutely covered in those nasty storkbill pointy corkscrew seeds… Trying to at least keep them out of their eyes… Of course had shearing scheduled for when I was in the hospital and had to reschedule. Couldn’t get anything earlier than this Sunday… can’t wait - sheep are soo itchy, the poor things! Fillarie is great for grazing but once they turn… and the blasted foxtail barley is coming hit on its heels now, too. I have to mow/move fencing.
I am a bit discouraged right now, because the sheep are doing a great job mowing all winter, but once it warms up in the spring they really can’t keep up and we have so many plants with troublesome seeds. Can’t afford to keep more than my three though, because I am feeding them hay May-November… Ugh.

Lil Texas Farmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello Nifty! Since I was last on here I started raising Jumbo White Cortunix Quail and Black/Bronze Turkeys. I also incubate all my poultry, so 98% of everything I have, I incubated. Its just a hobby for me but I love it. When I get an over abundance of eggs and poultry, sometimes, I'll sell some and give away some. I sold off most my rabbits but starting a new herd, now. Bought a Tamuk buck and bred it with a California White doe. Needless to say, the Gray Tamuk was the dominant color so all the babies were gray and black, Lol. I'll keep working on that! I'm still around Nifty and thanks for checking up on us! :)

ThoughtfulFox

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh goodness, this is a whole other lifetime ago, for me.
I managed a sheep farm for a couple in my home town for about five years. When the man passed away his widow couldn't keep the livestock on just her own pension so she sold off the sheep. I've had *counts in his head* four other jobs since then. Nothing quite as fulfilling as taking care of my flock, but still living a pretty good life by my reckoning.

newton the goat

Herd Master
Reaction score

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post her
Sadly, life did what life did best. Really shoved a wrench in things. Sadly I no longer have my sheep or any of my other animals anymore, I've moved to the other side of the country and I'm working on rebuilding my life from scratch. Though it's honestly been really tough, I have to say this is probably the most hopeful I've been about life in a while. I've gone back to school and I'm hoping everything will eventually come full circle (with hard work of course) and one day I'll be able to start again!

Gizelle

Just born
Reaction score
HI!
Yeah, we've had some private family problems recently, so things are a bit difficult. Also, being Spring, so much needs doing at once it's hard to keep up. But the animals are doing great. We've just had Puppies and Kittens!
It's such a lovely time of year to be ouside.