Cheese Press?

Island Creek Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you had input on cheese presses? They have some nice Italian made stainless wine/fruit/cheese presses on ebay that seem affordable...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220640806609&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

But I also like the Enterprise fruit presses (cast iron) that can be used for sausage stuffing/fruit pressing as well. It seems like they could be used to press cheese...after all, it's just something to apply pressure, isn't it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-1-2-Gallon...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eaedaa064

any input would be appreciated!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I have never used either of these types of presses....however....I have made a fair number of pressed and aged cheeses and I think this type of press is far from ideal. Notice the way the ad words the part about cheese....something like "maybe even cheese."

Cheese needs a steady, even pressure applied over many hours, so a press that has adjustable weights and a follower (so the weight sinks, maintaining constant pressure as the cheese shrinks) is needed for consistant results. If the cheese is not pressed properly, it just won't keep well.

I made my own press for $0, in an hour, from scraps I had on hand, and it works great. Not something I can keep on display, but it works! :p I've made all my molds, too, from straight-sided food-grade plastic containers, a drill, and a saw. And not much skill, either!

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Agree with everything Free says above. The point is not pressure, the point is being able to maintain it steadily for hours and hours, and in a way that it doesn't start to slip sideways and distort your cheese. (A good follower will help reduce the tendency for that to happen but the press also contributes.

And I too use a homemade rig, assembled from boards and books and whatnot that I already had lying around. Completely happy with it. I would suggest you do that; or if you don't mind stimulating the economy, buy an ACTUAL cheese press, I believe some are available for $150 or so.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat