Domperidone and inducing a doe to udder up?

Island Creek Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We took a chance and purchased a pretty French Alpine doe over the weekend, she had kidded prematurely and apparently didn't have a chance to udder up. We took her to AU and they checked her out and prescribed Domperidone (full sister kidded on time and REALLY uddered up, plus she's from excellent-udder bloodlines), said it will take a week or so to see results.

I'm curious, has anyone ever used this? Does it work? It was a tad on the pricey side, but if it'll work, it's worth it.

2 y.o. FF, kidded a singlet. When I brought her home, we were getting 1/2 cup milk 3x day, it's now increased (on day 3 of the domperidone) to 1C 3x/day.

I'd never heard of it, web search only indicated women wanting to produce milk in situations of adoption.

Hmmmmmmmm

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I have used it on alpacas. Works 50% of the time. Domperidone doesn't create milk, it helps the female get to her full possibility. We gave it 5g twice a day for 5 days for alpacas.

CountryFried

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Did you have any luck with the domperidone? I've just found 2 Alpines, one is in milk with kids, and one had her kids prematurely (they died), and they dried her off last week. Owner says she still appears to have a full udder and I may be able to bring the milk back, but I remembered this post, LOL. I have a lot of domperidone left from when I used it trying to up my supply for my son late last year. I wouldn't be getting them until next week, and I doubt he will be milking hr to try to bring it back for me, so I wondered if you had success with the dom.

Island Creek Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It worked for our doe...we hit just over 1/2 gallon per day on a FF, which seems to be normal for my FF Alpines. They only issues we have is withdrawl...think the vet said 10 days beyond the last use, and she uddered up so quickly her capillaries couldn't cope. We had salmon pink milk for a month or more beyond our last use, even using 1500mg 2x/day of Vitamin C.

CountryFried

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Island Creek Farm said:
It worked for our doe...we hit just over 1/2 gallon per day on a FF, which seems to be normal for my FF Alpines. They only issues we have is withdrawl...think the vet said 10 days beyond the last use, and she uddered up so quickly her capillaries couldn't cope. We had salmon pink milk for a month or more beyond our last use, even using 1500mg 2x/day of Vitamin C.
Did you use the paste? I have tablets, 10mg. Interesting about the withdrawal time, according to all the breastfeeding forums, it's fine to take while nursing, and is considered safe in humans. (Mind you, using the dom to up milk production in humans is an off-label use, and thus makes it extremely difficult to get a doc to prescribe for you, and then you have to get it at a compounding pharmacy.) Trying to find a livestock vet around, I KNOW they have to be here somewhere, I'm in the middle of farm/ranch country (SE Alabama, are you nearby, by chance? I'm near Dothan), but I haven't found one yet. Wondering if I could just use my tablets.