Getting husband and kids onboard

Gclover

Just born
Reaction score
Hello, I just joined, I have been reading the backyard forums for quite a while. Tons of helpful information.

So long story short, after moving from the city And buying 2 acres I am not allowed farm animals. I had plans on starting out with chickens, goats, and bees. That can't happen until I find different property. I was having a conversation with my husband about it and he actually threw out the meat rabbit idea. I felt dumb for not even thinking about it. Rabbits are not considered farm animals. So I have been doing a ton of research and planning everything out. We have never had rabbit meat. So I found someone close that sells the meat, it will be ready in a week.

Now that the plan is becoming more of a reality my husband is against the idea of raising any animals for meat. That was always part of my plan And he knew that was always going to be part of it. He thinks it will traumatize our kids. My youngest is 2 and my oldest is 11. I of course worry about how my 11 yr old will handle this also but I don't feel like it will ruin her childhood.

So, did anyone else have issues with getting their spouse and kids to go along with meat rabbits? How did you handle talking to your kids about it?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of that and for any advice you might have!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never had to persuade my husband as he grew up eating home grown animals and the kids were grown and gone when we started this farming life. But I will say that many many a child grows up on a farm and even raises animals for sale for food. Look at all the kids in 4H and FFA that raise sheep, goats, steers, chickens, pigs, etc and then take them to auction, parade them around the ring, and sell them; they are certainly not traumatized. There is some very good lessons to be learned by raising an animal, caring for it, treating it humanely, and then butchering it for food if that is its purpose. For me, I don't name my food, but same people do. I have a certain detachment to that animal right from the start if that is its destiny, but that doesn't mean I treat it poorly.

I think your 11 year old is old enough to understand that food does not come from the meat case at the local market, it was all a live animal at some point. Talk to them, explain it to them, make them a part of the process. That doesn't mean they have to see the deed being done but they need to know how and why it is being done. You have a wonderful chance to teach them some life lessons.

Sometimes you will have a breeder animal, like your rabbits, or maybe a goat. Let your child bond with those animals, but make sure they know why you are raising the offspring.

Can't help on the husband front, good luck with that one. :)

Last edited:

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
It honestly depends on HOW you do it. I have a friend that ate dinner with her family then went to do chores only to find all of her rabbits but one were missing. When she ran to her mom about it her mom simply said that is what they had just eaten. She was forever traumatized of this and is now a vegetarian.

I believe this is how it went, either way the animals was served as dinner: Another friend was given a calf to raise and care for at age 7. NO talk of raising it for food. She worked super hard for 4-h and trained it. Spent a lot of time with it. Then her dad handed her the gun to kill it. said it was part of raising animals. She still doesn't care for beef.

If you get the animals with the intent to love on the breeding animals but stay disconnected from the babies who will be meat pen, things go smoother. Make sure you make the intent on the rabbits clear and that any babies will be for eating but they can name and enjoy the adults all they want. I have a friend who has lops for their kids to raise that are not eaten and then they have meat rabbits that are. They show both but the kids can get attached to the lops all they want, just not the meat.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ouch! Some of those parenting methods are harsh! The first time we got pigs our girls were 2,3 and 5. We named the pigs ham and bacon. The girls caught on quickly that they were for our table. We have had animals that we've gotten attached to, mostly bottle calves. However, I maintain that once you and the kids have had to chase them down and pen them up again a few times, they become much easier to eat.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
MY grand daughter and I got 20 straight run chicks when she was 5. I told her from the start that any roosters were going to be dinner. We lived in town at the time and I told her crowing roosters would disturb the neighborhood. My mantra was, you crow-off with your head! She even repeated it. One day she asked if we could cut a rooster's head off. I asked her if she would eat it, she said yes. I told her there would be blood, she said ok. We caught a rooster and fashioned a killing cone from cardboard. I explained to her that it was the most humane way to kill a chicken, no flopping around, no running crazy, just snugly held while it bled out. We held hands and prayed for the rooster after I cut his throat. We thanked the rooster for giving up his life so that we could eat. We thanked God for providing us with good food. She watched me clean it and helped cut it up for supper. No, she was not traumatized at all. Her favorite is my home canned chicken broth.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
MY grand daughter and I got 20 straight run chicks when she was 5. I told her from the start that any roosters were going to be dinner. We lived in town at the time and I told her crowing roosters would disturb the neighborhood. My mantra was, you crow-off with your head! She even repeated it. One day she asked if we could cut a rooster's head off. I asked her if she would eat it, she said yes. I told her there would be blood, she said ok. We caught a rooster and fashioned a killing cone from cardboard. I explained to her that it was the most humane way to kill a chicken, no flopping around, no running crazy, just snugly held while it bled out. We held hands and prayed for the rooster after I cut his throat. We thanked the rooster for giving up his life so that we could eat. We thanked God for providing us with good food. She watched me clean it and helped cut it up for supper. No, she was not traumatized at all. Her favorite is my home canned chicken broth.
I LOVE this.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Us kids were not happy with butchering animals for meat at first. We would have conversations about where our meat comes from, and then the question would come, how is it different from us butchering a animal for us to eat, then getting it from the store, it wasn't different it is the same. You should get some meat chickens and butcher those before getting something they are attached to. Turn it into a science experiment, By asking them all the parts of the chicken and show them it is no big deal. It was so much fun looking at all the different parts of the animal and learning how they work and what they are used for.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Gclover from the front range in Colorado :frow Welcome to BYH. Glad you finally joined and jumped into the discussion ring :) Very good subject as well. Lots of feelings about it from many folks. Hope you can come to terms with the significant other as well as the kids. Unfortunately, I can add nothing to the discussion as all my kids were/are grown and gone before I got into domesticated meat animals. They were however raised on venison for most of their young lives and loved it. They knew where it came from and actually they helped butcher deer carcasses with me for the freezer. Congrats on moving to your 2 acres, sorry "farm animals" aren't allowed.

Gclover

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! I feel way better about my thought process now. Haha. Basically everything that was said is what I have been telling my husband. He has more of the mind that ignorance is bliss. I'm very much the opposite. Especially when it comes to an animal dying for my benefit. I think the butchering process will be incredibly hard, but I will feel better knowing that animal had a good life and was well Fed and healthy. Also, as mentioned, I think learning to be self sufficient is an incredibly important life skill. Something I wish I was taught when I was younger.

I don't know a ton about 4h, I did not realize they had animal projects for food. Maybe this is something I can look into for my daughter. Do many of you guys have your kids involved in 4h?

I'm not sure having her help in the processing right away would work. Even as a science experiment, she is pretty squeamish. I will definitely wait for her to be ready to be involved on that part. I would definitely never do it any of the ways Melissa drawz mentioned!! That would traumatize me! Haha.

Thanks latesarter! I should have checked the zoning first but there is a cow farm a couple blocks away, and I was allowed chickens, goats, and bees in the city!! I didn't think it wouldn't be allowed. Lol.