Goat footing and friends?

christy_was_here

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi folks, new here and pretty new to the goat world too. I had a pet goat when I was a kid, but that was quite a long time ago! :/ We spent many a summer day hanging out together on a huge felled tree or laying on the picnic table top- me with my tape deck and Charlie chewing cud. <3

At any rate, I'm working on a playground area outside of the shelter area for my ND wethers that are coming in June (expecting their birth in April) and wondered if pea gravel is an acceptable footing material for the area? I'm trying to avoid a mud pit when it rains and thought the gravel may help with a little bit of hoof wear, though I do realize I'll still need to trim.

My second question is regarding other animals in the pasture/barnyard. I have an established flock of chickens and ducks and would eventually like to add a LGD and a couple mini horses. Is there any disease or illness that can be passed from one critter to the other? Is it best to introduce a LGD as a puppy?

Thanks for your replies in advance! I've already learned a TON just by reading through the forums before I joined. I can't wait to learn more!

:)

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
are you intent on pea graveling the whole area? what kind of space are you talking? truthfully if it is a small area right outside the shelter door I would suggest a mixing of some do it yourself cement.. and then leave rest of area natural. I am thinking of putting a cement slap directly out my barn door.. that is where I have mud after winter thaw or with the bazillion inches of rain and flooding we have been getting her in NE Ohio the past week or 2! I have large sandstone boulders in for my goats to play on and lay on more likely and also a couple ramps that are covered in shingles-this kinda acts as an emory board for hooves but yes hoof care/trimming still occurs!

christy_was_here

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm not dead set on the gravel, but it is something I can do myself and it's relatively cheap. I would be a little nervous about doing the slab simply because I'm the only one who'd be working on it and my previous attempts and such things have gone awry (not level, etc). It may be for the goats, but I still want it to look nice.

I LOVE the idea of shingles on the ramps. That is an awesome idea.

Edited to say: the area I'm going to use as a 'paddock' playground is about 25' square. They won't be in it constantly, it opens up into the pasture and wooded areas.