Goat losing hair (no idea how to help her)

Kissofcrimson

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I bought 3 Nigerian Dwarf Goats a few months ago to add to my existing small herd and was told one of the does had a selenium deficiency (because I was concerned with the hair loss on her face and down her back) which I was fine with, knowing I had what I needed to fix that. She has since then lost most of her hair except on her legs, belly, upper torso, and neck. Her skin is also dry and flaky, but has no lesions and she doesn't over itch on anything. I had been giving her selenium supplements and also putting in her food HealthyCoat goat formula to help her skin and hair get the extra supplements she needed because her skin was so dry. I've tried feeding her all sorts of stuff and have also wormed her twice but it seems to have done little until recently.

As to her diet she gets the same as the other goats everyday: pellets, sweet feed, a handful of BOSS, handful of corn (every other day), alfalfa cubes grinded up and 24/7 access to Costal Bermuda Hay and roughage from grazing. They also get fed a variety of veggies and greens daily depending on what we have like apples, kale, pears, celery, dandelion greens, strawberries, etc.

*** I've also given her a mineral block and copper supplements to see if that was the problem. ***

I was recently told by the lady whom I bought her from that she had a buck a few months back before I bought her so I'm not sure if that changes things? I just want her to be healthy and happy.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pics would help. Can you tell if she has lice? Do you know how long she went without selenium?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Kissofcrimson and welcome to BYH. Sorry your goat issue brought you to us, but hopefully some of the great goat folks we have here can be of help. As @TAH said, it would be a lot easier if you posted some pics (close ups as well). I believe lice are typically visible... but mites typically aren't... Maybe an allergy to something? Anyway, hope you get it figured out and under control.

Reactions: TAH

Kissofcrimson

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
For a couple of months I was told. Supposedly the land they were on lacked selenium and she said she had this problem with other goats as well. I can't get any pictures right now but can post some tomorrow.

I've looked closely at her skin, at different areas and honestly didn't see any but didn't rule it out. What would you recommend for mites?

Thanks! I hope so too. She's a sweet goat.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I give my goats a bath in soap. Dawns is the best. Since her skin is dry I would put some olive oil on her skin after her bath. Oil also kills lice and mites.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to say welcome. :welcome

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you should have a vet see her. I also would recommend a blood draw and sent out for a mineral analysis. PADDL is where your vet can send it. Cost is about $35- not including shipping or vet fees.

This will give you much better data and no guessing.

Reactions: TAH