How much is to much?

julierx1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My 2 1/2 week old pygmy has been bottle fed from day one. She is doing great but I cant seem to get her to go more than 4 hrs before yelling to eat. I have been trying to get her to push for every 6 hrs like I read online but she just cant do it. I am feeding 6 oz. about every 41/2 to 5 hrs. is this too much?

Shelly May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
At two and a half weeks old I would let my (lambs) self feed with a bucket, and having hay and grain out already.

Never have bottle fed that long, maybe someone else will chime in, who has bottle fed that long.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I think I mentioned this before, but you should be feeding three times a day. Feeding her more than than that is not necessary and can lead to digestive issues. 6 ounces is fine and my NDs never take more than 12 ounces in a feeding and that is just prior to weaning when they are much bigger. We use pasteurized whole cow milk warmed to body temperature, and discard any that they do not finish from the bottle after a feeding.

Be strong when she whines and yells---she is just trying to train you. :D You can start putting in a bit of hay with her too to encourage her to start nibbling on it.

Do you have any DiMethox yet? At 21 days, we always treat for cocci preventatively.