I won't be returning to my local feedstore!

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
that's*satyrical said:
LOL about the presentation. While you're at it tell them to watch Food Inc. & then ask them if they'll still eat meat.
Agreed! Food inc. really shines the light on things. Bet they'd buy all their meat from local farmers like me after that!

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
TheSheepGirl said:
terrilhb said:
You go girl. Do a fantastic presentation. :thumbsup
Oh, I intend to! Originally we were going to save out a piglet to castrate for them at the presentation. We then decided that this might cause a stir.

They may faint at the sight of blood!:lol:
there shouldn't be very much blood... but I do hate righteous people!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
What a great outcome! It's so funny he said he'd special order you some scalpels. :lol:

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
TheSheepGirl said:
I called the manager yesterday, he and I have known each other for about 10 years now. He's raised pigs since the stone age and we had a nice and reasonable conversation about it. He even gave me a couple of pointers on castrating my own piglets for this go 'round. He was pretty upset that they would even be saying stuff like that and said he'd talk tot hem about the differences between food and pets.

He and I have decided that his City Slicker employees need to be educated on the differences between what he calls "Commercial Animals" and "Pets". He and I have arranged a short informational lecture for them. A 15-20 minute presentation on how local farmers raise their animals, including how we castrate piglets and other animals and a very informative section on why we raise them, FOR MEAT!

Guess who we decided should teach this presentation......

Yours Truly, Me! TheSheepGirl!

In your faces City Yuppies!! The best part about it is that they have to keep their opinions to themselves from now on, as well!

"I'll be sure to special order you some more scalpels, too." concluded the manager.
I missed this bit yesterday... awesome! People should have a proper understanding of their job, a feed store is not some yuppy (or whatever the come uppers are called these days) fluffy specialty doggie parlour... its not to say they we all don't take lovely care of our animals but geez... I think you had way more patience than what I would have had!

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Castrating went well yesterday. Hardly a squeal, believe it or not. I tried a new method and it was so much easier that way! I sat on a bucket and laid my sweater across my lap. I held each piglet upside down between my legs and wrapped the sweater a bit around their head, so they couldn't see. They were much quieter that way! Also, the Exacto Knife worked well, too. I do prefer a good hook scalpel, though.

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hillsvale said:
TheSheepGirl said:
I called the manager yesterday, he and I have known each other for about 10 years now. He's raised pigs since the stone age and we had a nice and reasonable conversation about it. He even gave me a couple of pointers on castrating my own piglets for this go 'round. He was pretty upset that they would even be saying stuff like that and said he'd talk tot hem about the differences between food and pets.

He and I have decided that his City Slicker employees need to be educated on the differences between what he calls "Commercial Animals" and "Pets". He and I have arranged a short informational lecture for them. A 15-20 minute presentation on how local farmers raise their animals, including how we castrate piglets and other animals and a very informative section on why we raise them, FOR MEAT!

Guess who we decided should teach this presentation......

Yours Truly, Me! TheSheepGirl!

In your faces City Yuppies!! The best part about it is that they have to keep their opinions to themselves from now on, as well!

"I'll be sure to special order you some more scalpels, too." concluded the manager.
I missed this bit yesterday... awesome! People should have a proper understanding of their job, a feed store is not some yuppy (or whatever the come uppers are called these days) fluffy specialty doggie parlour... its not to say they we all don't take lovely care of our animals but geez... I think you had way more patience than what I would have had!
I am a very patient person for the most part. I find it better just to walk away, though this time it was quite difficult!

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think it is great that you have taken this situation and turned it into a positive one. Both for yourself and for the employees at the store. You will gain confidence and satisfaction in sharing your knowledge and they will gain understanding, knowledge and perhaps a different respect for farmers. Nicely done! :thumbsup

Latest posts