I'm baaaack!

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, I've been remiss. I've been trying to get tons of work done plus it's kidding season time!

Here's a quick update:

The rancher who sold me Lisa and Lulu lost his daughters' 4H winning doe who was the mother of these girls. Doe was a week from kidding, got strangled in the fence, and died. :( Both he and his wife bought Lisa and Lulu. Lulu kidded the same day, so they bought the kids, Lisa and Lulu. So my herd went from 10 adults to 8. Just as I was wrangling up Lulu I heard a new voice: Belle kidded. So Belle and her kid went into the kidding pen and the Saanens went to the rancher. We named Belle's buckling Ragnar since he looks like he's wearing hairy pants.

Then Delilah had her kid. In this case the kid was huge and malpresented. You could only see his head. Long story short, I had to go in and rearrange the kid's legs to get him out of mom. He's huge! :thWe named him Rollo since we're doing a Viking theme.

One of my Boer crosses, Blaze, had a baby early. It was stillborn and backwards. What's more, it had no eyes. Don't know what that is all about.

Belle is still a crappy mother, but my best milker. I've had to bottle feed Ragnar. Ragnar is huge at 3 weeks. What's odd is that when I saw him he was cleaned off. I don't know who did it. I doubt it was Belle, but it might have been Blaze. :idunno

Still writing for Mother Earth News. Here's my blog for those interested in my goat antics.

Latest posts