Is milking nigerian dwarf goats difficult?

annabelle333

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am researching different breeds and am leaning toward Nigerian Dwarf goats. I love their size and personalities along with their milking abilities. I have heard that because of their test size milking can be difficult. Any experience and/or ideas on this?

Thanks! :)

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My first time milking EVER was on a first time Nigerian Dwarf. I managed to do it. She even had one udder that was weird. Was not that bad. I have like 10 year old sized hands though so maybe that made it easier.

cindyg

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My ND doe is a great milker and easy to milk. I found that the teats elongate when they are in milk and are easy to get a hold of. I also have a little suction milker and the "cup" thingie fits right on and the suction draws the teat into it. Guess it depends on the doe but you can't judge just by looking at the teats before they develop an udder and before you start to milk.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Not bad at all, but I would look for does/dams that have good milking lines, decent sized teats, and well attached udder.

annabelle333

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Pearce Pastures said:
Not bad at all, but I would look for does/dams that have good milking lines, decent sized teats, and well attached udder.
What do you mean by well attached udder? Thanks for your input and advice!