Is This Normal?

Watch Your Step

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2 year old American Nubian. This is her first year in milk. She is also pregnant and due in March. Her breeder does blood test so hopefully I won't have another false pregnancy.:fl
She gets a pound of grain AM +PM.(It is the same kind of grain her breeder was giving her) Free choice hay. She is on a dry lot. She is UTD on shots and was recently dewormed. My problem is she gives 2 cups of milk in the morning but only 1-1.5 cups at night. Is this normal? Am I just overreacting?
Also her breeder was giving her alfla pellets does she need alfla pellets?

Watch Your Step

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, we're going to dry her up in January, to give her 2 months to rest.
I'm just confused as to why she gives so little milk at night.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
First thing. I would dry her up by 2 months gestation instead of 3 months. Giver her 3 months instead of 2 rest. We dry most of ours earlier than that most about the time we breed at least. It depends on the animal and her condition. We have given some much longer if they kidded multiples etc. I have one who has been dry a year. But, in my opinion you would dry them off at least by 2 months after breeding.

As far as the difference in output. We have some who give a little more in the morning and a little less in the afternoon. Some more in the afternoon and less in the morning.
That's not a big deal.But, yes Alfalfa can boost output. We keep some alfalfa hay, not pellets for ours that we want to boost. We feed them more before shows. What you feed can affect milk output

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
First thing. I would dry her up by 2 months gestation instead of 3 months. Giver her 3 months instead of 2 rest. We dry most of ours earlier than that most about the time we breed at least. It depends on the animal and her condition. We have given some much longer if they kidded multiples etc. I have one who has been dry a year. But, in my opinion you would dry them off at least by 2 months after breeding.

As far as the difference in output. We have some who give a little more in the morning and a little less in the afternoon. Some more in the afternoon and less in the morning.
That's not a big deal. But, yes Alfalfa can boost output. We keep some alfalfa hay, not pellets for ours that we want to boost. We feed them more before shows. What you feed can affect milk output

Watch Your Step

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok, thank you. Glad to know I was just overreacting and my goat is fine.:)