Looks like i have a couple of bottle babies

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
For the most part , mastitis is not often associated with fever or any other infection... And honestly, if she had it last year and you did not resolve it and get milk, there is 99.99% chance you would have the same thing this year. The udder is not functional and never will be.
The types of mastitis that cause fever or swelling or infection is usually a coliform/ Ecoli type, or Klebsiella ,.
Chronic staph and strep mastitis will seldom cause more than a very slight elevated temp if that... mostly just goopy or chunky or "off looking" milk.
Ship the ewe and save a ewe lamb from her if you like the bloodline... mastitis is not very heritable, unless there is udder malformations... the propensity for a daughter having mastitis because her mother did is rare.

SteepedInSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
For the most part , mastitis is not often associated with fever or any other infection... And honestly, if she had it last year and you did not resolve it and get milk, there is 99.99% chance you would have the same thing this year. The udder is not functional and never will be.
The types of mastitis that cause fever or swelling or infection is usually a coliform/ Ecoli type, or Klebsiella ,.
Chronic staph and strep mastitis will seldom cause more than a very slight elevated temp if that... mostly just goopy or chunky or "off looking" milk.
Ship the ewe and save a ewe lamb from her if you like the bloodline... mastitis is not very heritable, unless there is udder malformations... the propensity for a daughter having mastitis because her mother did is rare.
Thanks for all this info. Very interesting read.

What does everyone think about potential ethics of keeping a ewe with a bad udder and accept that fact that her babies will be bottle fed each year? We're debating that right now. She's been a great sheep in all other ways... reasonably friendly, hasn't had other health or parasite issues, has had more than singles with each birth. We're wondering if it would be worth it to keep her based on that. We have cows in milk and would plan to in the future so there wouldn't be a huge cost as far as the milk replacer for her future lambs.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Keeping her to produce lambs ... and if you have the milk so not a big added expense... would be no different than keeping a wether for company to some other ram... so if you don't mind the bottle feeding then it is doable...
Personally I would replace her and let her do the work, but if she can have the ,lambs, and you don't mind the feeding, and don't have to buy the milk or replacer, then I see no harm in it....

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all this info. Very interesting read.

What does everyone think about potential ethics of keeping a ewe with a bad udder and accept that fact that her babies will be bottle fed each year? We're debating that right now. She's been a great sheep in all other ways... reasonably friendly, hasn't had other health or parasite issues, has had more than singles with each birth. We're wondering if it would be worth it to keep her based on that. We have cows in milk and would plan to in the future so there wouldn't be a huge cost as far as the milk replacer for her future lambs.
As long as you don’t mind bottle feeding keep her - esp if it isn’t genetic. I’d keep track of the ewe lambs to make sure they don’t also have the same problem just in case.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
For a small producer, in your circumstances, that is your decision. Other people might think you are crazy, but aren’t we all more than a little crazy? LOL

I have a few pets that pull at my heartstrings that are staying, no matter what. I understand where you are coming from.