Milking sheep?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
The guy I bought my little doeling from milked his sheep. He had a milking machine, though. I would think that if one can milk those little Nigerians by hand, you should be able to get two fingers on your sheep's teats! :lol:

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:lol:

I was told that you really have to "punch up" then pull down. I can't find the info in my "Sheep Bible".

I know I'm putting the cart before the horse, I'm just so curious!!

I learned that sheep milk, being high in solids, yields about twice the amount of cheese as cow milk! Per 100 lbs of milk, sheep gives about 20 lbs of cheese, and cow milk produces 10 lbs.--Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep

Rence

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
when I was looking I couldn't even find a milk sheep :/ Any East Friesan owners out there?

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Rence said:
when I was looking I couldn't even find a milk sheep :/ Any East Friesan owners out there?
No, sorry. But I would love to have one...supposed to be excellent for milking. Good luck!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rence said:
Try Mothergoose on BYC, I think she still does Friesians.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
So, how much milk will the average Friesian give per day? How long is the lactation, on average?