Moving On | A bright Future |

What do you think she'll have!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did she let him mount her during the time they were together? If she did, then you are probably fine leaving them apart. If she didn't or you aren't sure, then I'd put them back together for a while.

I'd cut back on her grain since she is a Dorper or Dorper cross. You don't want her to be fat because then she has a higher chance of lambing difficulties.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first couple times they were together I saw him mount her. But other than that, she has been reluctant to let him even court with her.

We will cut back on the feed to. Thanks for the helpful tips.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, if you saw him mounting her then she is *probably* bred. Not a guarantee though.
Ok, I saw him mount her a few times, and after the one night they had together she wouldnt stand for him. She would actually turn around and ram him in the side after that.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update:

Mammy is hugggeee. I think part of it is her hair but im hoping she has a babe or two in there. No udder yet, which is a good sign dont want her to have babies yet. Hoping they are coming in march.

Here are some pics
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Go figure they're sideways....

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not much information to be gathered from those pics except that she's pudgy, sorry!

Try to get a clear shot (as in not blurry) of her vulva. That is always the first clue to me on whether my ewes are bred. I'll try to post a few pictures later to illustrate for you.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok... Ill get a pic as soon as I can.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
@luvmypets - what was the first date that you put her with Reggie? And then it was a few weeks till you put her with him again, right? What was the date of the last time you put them together? Knowing those dates will give you a better idea of when to expect lambs. You'll also need to decide when to give her vaccines, since those are typically given a month before the expected lambing.

When you feel her spine, about halfway down her back or a bit further, how does it feel? I like to be able to definitely feel their spine (feels like an upside-down V). If their spine feels sharp and pointy (almost knife-edge), that's underweight. If their spine feels round and well-padded, and they're filled in on the sides of the spine so it's a flatter upside-down V, they're overweight. I try to keep mine in between, especially when they're pregnant. Mine get free fed hay, free fed loose minerals, and a very small amount of pellets/corn twice a day, mainly for the vitamins/minerals and so I can check them and to keep them used to the routine of coming into the barn.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
The majority (about 80%) of the lamb growth is in the last 6 weeks, before which there may be little to see in young, pregnant ewes. In older girls, they often look a bit 'drop sided' and low bellied early on.

The teats of the udder tend to be pointy after about 3 months, but all fairly subtle changes.

The ewe may be more placid in behaviour due to hormonal change.

Good luck.