My TWO AGH gilts are -- update new piglets!!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hit:hit:hugs:hugs

Hope your other one does better:fl.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear MH... Really hope the other one does better.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
UPDATE --

Let myself sleep in this AM...went to feed, wonderful warm day almost 70 @8AM & that's about 20 degrees warmer than norm.... anyway, walking to pig pens I see a pile just outside of Tiny's hut so I know something happening/planning, etc. Get there & find Rosie has broken into the area fenced for Tiny to farrow. I sure didn't think that 225# hippo could get thru that opening she made but -- SHE DID! Big wallow dug out in front of hut, and there is a tiny little piglet!! I jump in, find Tiny laying in hut with 8 more nursing. Put #9 back in with mom!!! Placenta passed so I know she's done. They are all milling around, nursing & adorable. Rosie laid her lard askkkk down in the new wallow and will NOT move. As Tiny grunts, Rosie rolls further onto side to present the milk bar. Both sows are in a state of dreamland and the piglets are lined up hanging on. They can all walk around!! Amazing mobility for hours old.

I got a small rake and removed the placenta, checked it. And finally gave up on moving Rosie as I cannot lift this hippo!
To say that I am concerned with her being there for a few day is an understatement. So my day will center on getting her up. Even her fav food wouldn't budge her! It's something I have never been faced with. (I fixed the gate hole).

When Rosie did farrow a couple days ago I was concerned with only 5....also no placenta found. Ok, they do eat them. Then I wonder, were there more piglets??? Were they devoured? Been watching her, in case only one horn emptied & she's shows no issues at this time. Been eating, running around and all as normal. No discharge. I'm concerned for these new ones, for a few days anyway.

DELIGHTED that they are well and here. Back to the pens!!
Oh, one thing I mention...pigs they say carry 3 months, 3 weeks & 3 days. Both of mine were early...by about 5 days. I know about variances in sperm fertilizing, etc. but, what I want to say is this -- with minis it was QUITE apparent that the smaller ones did not have as long a gestation. While horses generally go 10-10.5 mos, the small minis normally went only 9-9.5 months. Just a thought that these smaller breeds may carry just a little short of the larger counterparts.
Anyone with small breeds notice this? Harder with pigs as we are talking days, with horses it's weeks.

Hard to get into the hut but, here's a little pic

1130160955.jpg

image11301605.jpg

Yep, she let me squeeze in & over her to get at least some of the piglets on cam. LOL

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Woohoo!!! I know you've gotta be so relieved that this delivery went so well! I wonder if they could co-mom?

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm so sorry about Rosie's litter. :(

Congratulations on Tiny's new piglets! :weeeThat is a pretty big litter. :eek: They are so cute!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes -- relieved. :weee

FEM-- co-mom, well I'm still not sure about what happened with Rosie & that's a worry until these guys can run faster! But, I did get her out of the pen & closed off again.

It is going to be high 70s today & high 60s tomorrow, then back to normal 50s. At least they will get a couple days to gain some temperature control in their little systems. Lots more straw for them. In a few days they will be in a larger yard area, then in a week or so out with both sows. For now, nose to nose at fence!

I can't believe how mobile they are. This one little runt (I have 2 :idunno) is just determined to get out & about. I did refill the dry wallow that Aunt Rosie made just outside the hut, so they didn't have to take a "3 story drop" and not be able to get back in. These are so cute but, jury still out on whether I will have more in future. Right now I have no boar....and IF a rebreed, would want to do pretty soon.

How long do you piggy owners wait to rebreed???

image130161133b.jpg

So now I can work on the truck to see why the battery is almost dying --- brand new issue from this AM Something in system seems to not be recharging, so will have to test and replace. Always something!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have considered nail polish on the hair BUT, afraid someone might try to eat it off.

And then, the adults -- same issue! I have equipment to tattoo ears....thought about that! :p