Need to make a head gate for my cow

Heavenly Springs Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This winter I have been using my sister-in-laws grooming chute to milk in but with summer coming she needs it for the shows. My cow is a mid-size Miniature Jersey. She is 46" tall at the hip. I don't need a big head gate just something that will hold her head and let you eat while I am milking her. She is great at milking times, but does start moving around when she thinks she is done milking. I have been trying to look on the internet for plans but can't find any. Does anyone have any plans or pictures of their milking area that I can see? Thank you

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't have plans to show, but we had a single stanchion homemade headgate that worked pretty good on the farm.

Sink two 4"x4" posts about 36" apart. Anchor them well and have the height be about 2' higher than your cow's shoulder. Attach 2"x6" (or 8" or 10") to the 4x4s from the ground up to the brisket of your cow. Just above your cow's shoulders run a 2x4 between the posts and secure well. Using a carriage bolt, attach another 2/4 near the bottom of one post, and leave it just loose enough so you can rotate the 2x4. This 2x4 should be long enough to go about 6" past the shoulder-height 2x4. This is what will make your headgate. drill some holes in the 2x4 above the shoulders so you can pin the headgate at different spaces (make various size "V"s for different size cattle). Put a feedbox on one side and you're set.

Rough instructions, but hopefully you can picture it! Enjoy that good jersey milk.