New Barn! Holes dug! 12/4

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been putting off building a new barn because we hope to move. Seeing as how that is not moving along right now we have decided to just go ahead and build.

It will be a bit tricky as we are building it in a modular form. This way section by section can be taken down when we move. It will be considered a non-permanent structure. Similar to the carport frames many use. We had looked at those but decided they wouldn't be big enough and would be hard to work with as far as inside layout.

Hoping to draw up the plans. Did a rough sketch and stood in the field staring at my imaginary barn! My imaginary barn is beautiful! :D

I think I need to sell some goats so I can pay for my barn. :\

We will have to build in stages but when all is said and done my does should have 56 sq ft of space each! LOL that is a 7x8 stall per goat!:lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could sell some bucks! :th

We want to see those plans!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd love to see your plans when you get them finished. The idea of building modular sounds intriguing.

Love my bucks too! All of them always have a happy look on their face, love to see me and you know, it isn't just about the food. The does are good too, but they don't do unconditional love like the boys.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't find my program so I have done most by hand sketch. :\
If I can figure out how to get it on here I will if not I will just post pics along the way! :)
I am hoping to do a good bit over Thanksgiving! :fl

The first phase will be 22x20. We will have to add phase 2,3,and 4 as we can. :rolleyes: A little thing called "moulah" :lol:
And a chunk of that "resource" will now be going to our hay broker.
We are having a truck ship in hay...
We calculated a minimum of #40 lbs of hay per day and that will go up as the youngsters continue to grow.
It will save us $$$ in the long run, but wow- up front :th
I guess I could always list some goat kids for sale. :p
I was terrible this year and didn't want to sell my babies. :hide
Especially my boys. I LOVE my boys! :hit

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where are you storing the hay?

I was thinking of one of the carports too but I would have it custom built as I only want the rafters and really really short legs and then we could mount the rafter and the bottom bracing that would normally be on the ground onto wooden 4x4 post and 2x10 ceiling joist. I have to talk to DH about that idea and make sure he can anchor it securely to the wood. Might be too much work. Just trying to find an easier way to do the center aisle of the barn as the high work is hard on him since his surgery.

I don't want the carport frame all the way to the ground as I want 6' minimum between uprights so I can build my modular kidding pens on one side and the carport legs only come in 5' spacing.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@babsbag We ordered a custom carport from carports.com. Free delivery and installation. It is supposed to arrive today (they said after 12 pm) but it still hasn't arrived. My dad called and the lady said that if it was supposed to be delivered today, it will be delivered today, day or dark. Tomorrow we'll be putting the sides on if it actually comes tonight.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@babsbag we are getting ready to move the kiko does over back through the woods to the open pasture- you never got to see that when you were here :( The buckling s will be sold. :( I may use 1 stall behind the warehouse for goats if I keep any back there... but that gives me 3 stalls still. They are big stalls and high so we can stack and store alot of hay. We always have the warehouse but it leaks so much inside the hay is better off outside! :lol:

In the new barn we want to build it high enough in the peak so we can easily store the week's hay there. We can just pull down a bale a day and put it right in the feeders.

@SheepGirl we thought about the carport but then DH wasn't sure how it would hold up with the winds. We are in a higher wind zone- hurricanes and tropical storms etc... we looked at the ratings and although they are secured down we have seen too many get destroyed- we'd have probably been fine with it really. I went with it because DH doesn't usually say much about the farm stuff. He is willing to build it so I am not arguing... it will cost us though. :\
Our "neighbors" (10 minutes away LOL) just got one. They are boarding it up and it is looking great! What are you gong to do with yours? You mentioned sides... what material are you using?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are using metal for the sides no matter how we build the frame. I just found an awesome deal on some beautiful 1x12 cedar. It would make really nice siding, we would do boards and battens for the front of the barn, and metal for the rest. I don't know when we will build this, should be done NOW, but not ready...coop is in the way.

@BrownSheep I will check out carports.com We have a place here that will custom make them for us but they are a little pricey. Wood frame is really the cheapest, just looking for something easier. I would LOVE to pay someone for installation too, but probably not in the budget. We put together a 20x20 carport in a weekend, wasn't too bad.