New member from Central California

fortyfivefarm

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hi! I am brand new to this site, but not to farm or ranch life. We have numerous horses, cattle and various poultry. We are in the research phase of getting into goats, smaller breeds preferred. Would love to hear opinions (both good & bad) on the different breeds out there.

Looking forward to chatting with you!
Jules

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! :frow

Goats are an excellent choice! ;)

As far as the smaller breeds... are you looking for pets? dairy? meat? Show?
The smallest breeds would be the Nigerian Dwarf which is a dairy goat, the Pygmy which is classified as a meat goat. Both make wonderful pets! Pygmy's from what I understand produce excellent milk but just don't have the production of a dairy goat.

Then there are the Mini's... mini-mancha's mini Nubians, mini-Alpines and the list goes on... they are specifically bred to have the end result of a "smaller or mini" version of the Standard breed. These are dairy goats but there again can make great pets too. Not all mini's are very mini though... some are very large almost the size of a standard. If you are interested in a mini then look at the other mini's being produced... are they actually mini?

There are also many Nigie/Pygmy crosses as well and they are great goats!

You have many options for where you live! There are great mini breeders out your way as well as Nigies & Pygmies!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frow, we just started this fall with Nigerian's so we are still learning. Everyone here is very helpful!

Just be aware...they're like chicken math ;) we started with 1 bottle baby and just added 3 does ( all in varies stages of pregnancy)!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from North Carolina
My family and I have been breeding and showing Nigerian Dwarfs for 5 or is it 6 years now
Love them :love

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Arklahoma. I raise full sized LaMancha dairy goats and am rather partial to them. Lots of folks with lots of experience are here to share

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Central Cali! :welcome Guess we're neighbors!

Goats are addicting.....and everyone here is happy to oblige the addiction :)

If you decide on Nigerians, I have a few due to kid in the next several months. You can check out my goats on my website if you like.