Newbie with a question :-)

teapot10

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the info! Sounds like it's definitely something I can manage, just need to do lots of research and make sure I'm prepared. But I'm super excited :D

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I have also heard that Jersey/beef crosses are some of the tastiest beef available. We just never had the spare Jersey cow to breed angus for eating!
Definitely watch newborn jersey calves as if they were human infants. Make sure they had colostrum and feed 1 quart milk 3-4 times a day spaced out. Don't overfeed them all at once. The first few weeks are the touchiest.
Since it's summer, put them on young grass as soon as possible. We liked to use calf hutches and anchor them on good grass. Jerseys like to mouth things and nibbling grass keeps them occupied. Separate the babies so they don't suck on each other's ears, mouth, whatever.

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I hate to be a kill joy but bottle feeding calves can be a pain in the backside.

If you just want beef for your freezer my best advice is to buy a couple of beef breed weaners and raise them up. Try and get them from a local breeder instead of the sale barn.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Aggie: Yes, I have the article right here. It's in the Cattle Business Weekly, June 9th edition. Top of page 1. Article is titled: Grass-fed may not be as healthy as perceived.

Dr. Stephen Smith, an AgriLife Research meat scientist and his team of researchers conducted the study. It was presented at the NCBA, and the Texas Human Nutrition Converence in College Station. I'm sure if you google some of these, you will be able to find his results.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily true, but it seems to be a pretty well run study, and worth looking into.

Again, I have no dog in this fight, just passing on something that I found interesting.

As for me, I can't taste a lot of difference between white and yellow fat, but the white fat is more visually pleasing to me. JMHO!

teapot10

Just born
Reaction score
herfrds said:
I hate to be a kill joy but bottle feeding calves can be a pain in the backside.

If you just want beef for your freezer my best advice is to buy a couple of beef breed weaners and raise them up. Try and get them from a local breeder instead of the sale barn.
lol herfrds...I am a mother of seven...I'm the queen of dealing with "pains in the backside"

Yes, we know there are easier ways, but I would love for my children and I to have the experience...and free "pains in the backside" sounds better than $100+ a head from the local breeder to me ;)

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Well teapot, you said the magic words: seven kids.
Yes you can do this.Treat them JUST like your babies and you will do fine.
I recall my mother telling me to treat my newborn like I treated my baby calves-- and she was right!
The first 6 months will be most expensive because you need to feed both the milk and calf starter for protein.
Now, the caveat: There won't be much meat on those bones for a large family. Jerseys are not large animals and they are thinner than most. Get the jersey crosses if you can. ANY cross will put more meat on it than pure Jersey. Jerseys are also excellent natural grazers so put them on grass asap but keep feeding grain too, especially under 6 months.
I would suggest finishing off with some additional grain the last few months before butchering.

It might be that it would be cost effective to pay the $100 for another breed bull calf since the $ going into feed will be the same. I suggest you view various breed steers at 18-24 months to see the difference in final size. It may change your mind about the investment.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
Aggie: Yes, I have the article right here. It's in the Cattle Business Weekly, June 9th edition. Top of page 1. Article is titled: Grass-fed may not be as healthy as perceived.

Dr. Stephen Smith, an AgriLife Research meat scientist and his team of researchers conducted the study. It was presented at the NCBA, and the Texas Human Nutrition Converence in College Station. I'm sure if you google some of these, you will be able to find his results.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily true, but it seems to be a pretty well run study, and worth looking into.

Again, I have no dog in this fight, just passing on something that I found interesting.

As for me, I can't taste a lot of difference between white and yellow fat, but the white fat is more visually pleasing to me. JMHO!
Thanks! I don't have a dog in the fight either, I just have read so much stating grass-fed is healthier, and I'd love to read all I can for either argument. :)